UV Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 Gallon tank and want to get a UV light for it. Does anyone know of some good websites?? LFS does not have any

Thanks
Mason

Why do you want a UV? It is great for green water but otherwise it is sort of uneccessary

I was told that it kills bacteria??? Not sure if this is true. Also does it give the colorful fish a glowing type look?? If not what is the type of light that does because the light I have now is just a regular ol' fishtank light. I want the tank to light up with like a blue/purple glow. I saw this at the LFS and looked pretty cool almost like they were using a blacklight. I did not know if that would hurt the fish so I did not rush out and buy one.

www.bigalsonline.com

It does not color your fish, think of it like a closed box. Water goes in, and algea, bacteria, and paracites all die. I think its one of the best things you can buy for your tank, anyone that tells you it is unnecessary obviously does not have one. Is crystal clear water and peace of mind that your fish are safe from disease unnecessary? :roll:

the light you saw them using at the pet store was not uv.. it was most likely a blue light normally used for reef setups..its just regular old florescent light that gives off the blue wavelength of light..

ouch..uv.. its a inline filter that is used to kill free-floating living objects... if you had one over your aquarium well you would be causing great harm to yourself for starters.. not to mention the inhabitants of the aquarium.. it only kills parasites and such at very low flow rates much lower than normal filtration so It would need its own closed loop pump and such to do that.. and unless you have a big one or big tank its tough to get a pump small enough to do the job right in my opinion.. it is a bit overkill.. as far as filtration is concerned but if you are someone who likes to get the job done more than right the first time I can see wanting this.. by the way.. they dont recommend anything under 15 watts for controlling parasites..
resource on the flow rate defences if your interested...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=423&aid=435

ebay is the cheapest place to get UV right now.. I would post a link but ebay links die and that woudnt be cool for someone wanting to read this later..

It can kill the good bacteria, which is especially fatal in cycling. I say take that money and spend it on an additional filter, plants, decorations and live fish. You can never have too much filtration. Maybe treat yourself to special lighting, or a cool new background. If you have live plants, why not a good CO2 system. Better yet a new tank!

ok ok with the dwell time business...LOL your right but the dwell time can be looked at as gph..
I agree with the RO unit investment.. good prices on ebay.. under 70 bucks right now..

Back
Top Bottom