UV light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a new 125gal tank, I bought a SunSun canister filter (525 gal/hour) that has a UV light built-in. How does that work with bacteria, I mean wouldn't it kill the good bacteria along with the bad?

The Theory behind it is No, it would not, reason being, Your tank, Decor, substrate, water column, even your fish have BB on them, Whats in your filter is already there in the media, The UV light would only kill, Bacteria/Parasites that pass though the light on your return. That is why when buying a UV light it's important to look at GPH as the flow rate is important to allow enough time for the water flow to be exposed to the UV light. Some UV lights will give you two ratings, One for Parasites, One for Algae control.

Some Believe that when you cycle you should not use UV, My Personal experience is, this is just not true, if you just think about how it works, it makes total sense that the BB will develop anywhere the light is not.

But looking at your Canister with the built in UV, you'd need to see how the light comes into contact with the water, if the light inside is sealed from the rest of the filter, they the answer above would be accurate, if the UV light is exposed to all of the media in your filter, then the light would impact the BB.

I looked up your filter and can't really tell by the specs how the light comes in contact with your water flow.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack just wondering if a filter with a uv light is worth getting? Or it's just sort of an added bonus.

UV lighting isn't really needed as part of a standard tank set up. I run one on my 220g only because I had one from my reef tanks. It's a highly debatable question and you'll get a variety of answers. They are absolutely great for eradicating extended bacterial or green water algae blooms.

Personally, I Like the UV on the return line, for the reasons I mentioned above, separate components are easier to deal with if something fails, plus you have the ability to turn the light off if you needed or wanted to.

Worth buying is a personal question, In my opinion, the peace of mind that it's killing certain parasites that might be brought in with plants, LFS fish or even decor is worth it. Some of the bigger named add on ones are a bit pricey, and I wish I'd known about this one prior to buying the ones I have, but for my money, for what they do, I think it's a No Brainer.

UV Sterilizers

I have never used the above, but I think at the price, it's a good risk to try.

UV are great I wouldn't run a tank without one

Don't listen to what some people say they need to be turned on 24/7 and you need to change the bulb every 6-12 months that's it

Unfortunately the only parasites they kill are ones that pass through the light. Before adding plants they should be dipped prior to adding to a tank so any unwanted hitchhikers are killed. But that is another thread in itself.

In my opinion, outside of a few niche applications(GW in planted tanks), they are entirely unnecessary. They don't prevent anything that wouldn't be prevented by good aquarium practice or treat anything that's not already easily treated. Despite the marketing, most UV sterilizes aren't anti-parasitic either. Ultimately, they end up being $100+ placebos in most tanks.

i run one 24/7. going on 3 years now and not one disease in tank . no ick nada

I've also run tanks that long and longer with and without a UV and honestly disease and parasites haven't been an issue. I believe that has a lot more to do with not adding new fish and plants without proper QT'ing and or even treating. Had I not already owned a UV I wouldn't have bought one for the 220. I run several other tanks and none have UV's. So I think it's just a matter of if you want one or not but you can have a healthy disease and parasite free tank just as easily without one. If someone wants one then get one by all means but can a healthy tank be run without one.... absolutely. It's just a matter of opinion.

I've also run tanks that long and longer with and without a UV and honestly disease and parasites haven't been an issue. I believe that has a lot more to do with not adding new fish and plants without proper QT'ing and or even treating. Had I not already owned a UV I wouldn't have bought one for the 220. I run several other tanks and none have UV's. So I think it's just a matter of if you want one or not but you can have a healthy disease and parasite free tank just as easily without one. If someone wants one then get one by all means but can a healthy tank be run without one.... absolutely. It's just a matter of opinion.

It's not just parasites coming into the tank

If a fish gets damaged it stops fungus cloudy eye

It's also your insurance against such thing

My rays and other fish can't handle any copper based med which means most of the meds on the market are not ray safe

If you think they do nothing why bother using it

I have been running a uv for over 30 years and like I said I wouldn't run a tank without one

You can't use copper based anything in planted tanks either. I keep a lot of cichlids that often get small wounds and they heal in a tank with excellent water quality. I also didn't say I don't think they don't do anything nor do I feel I need them for insurance but as we have had this discussion before it's not worth going into it again as you've made your opinions loud and clear before. In order for someone to get a feel for something, in this instance UV's, they should hear opinions, which is what they all are, opinions, from those who have used them so they can make a decision for themselves whether it is a piece of equipment they want to use. This isn't a matter of anyone being right or wrong. I started using them on my reef tanks starting in the 80's but never used one on my freshwater tanks since the 70's. I did run them on my ponds for a few years but found my ponds can run just as successfully without them and we have expensive imported koi. So my entire point is you can successfully run a healthy tank without a UV. But if a person thinks they need insurance then there is no reason they shouldn't buy one either. As I said in my first post this is a highly debatable question that you'll get a variety of answers to.

Sorry OP that this thread got off target from your original question since you already have a UV on your filter.

Most UV sterilizers won't help against fungal infections either. Not only that, but most of those infections are the result of opportunistic infections and not due particularly virulent organisms, ie, normal tank flora that a healthy fish would naturally be exposed to and otherwise fight off.

Additionally, many (I would venture to say most) meds these days don't use copper anymore.

You can't use copper based anything in planted tanks either. I keep a lot of cichlids that often get small wounds and they heal in a tank with excellent water quality. I also didn't say I don't think they don't do anything nor do I feel I need them for insurance but as we have had this discussion before it's not worth going into it again as you've made your opinions loud and clear before. In order for someone to get a feel for something, in this instance UV's, they should hear opinions, which is what they all are, opinions, from those who have used them so they can make a decision for themselves whether it is a piece of equipment they want to use. This isn't a matter of anyone being right or wrong. I started using them on my reef tanks starting in the 80's but never used one on my freshwater tanks since the 70's. I did run them on my ponds for a few years but found my ponds can run just as successfully without them and we have expensive imported koi. So my entire point is you can successfully run a healthy tank without a UV. But if a person thinks they need insurance then there is no reason they shouldn't buy one either. As I said in my first post this is a highly debatable question that you'll get a variety of answers to. Sorry OP that this thread got off target from your original question since you already have a UV on your filter.
With $10,000 with of fish in one tank I will take all the insurance I can get and for the sake of $200 it was worth every cent to me Ick is something I haven't seen since the 80s since using uv Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't me you won't have a problem Nearly every reef tank I know runs a UV and they have for many years why because of the high light output they need and a uv helps to cut down on the green algue

A uv for a pond isn't the same as on a tank a pond uv is a total waste of time on a tank

Pond uv is a uvc ultra violet clarifier uses a bulb
Tank uv is a uvs ultra violet steriliser uses a tube with a much longer contact time than a uvc which is only for green and blanket weed

My issue with the sunsun canister filter uv sterilizer is that the flow is too fast for it to be effective.

Aside from that, its interesting that you mention almost every reef tank you know running a uv sterilizer since I can't think of more than 2 or 3 reef tanks with actively running sterilizers.

as for my personal opinion on them, I will eventually buy one but only to use as assistance in hospital tanks. I wouldn't bother running one on a display tank.

LOL your still missing the whole point of the post. Let's just leave things at this is going nowhere and has nothing to do with the original question.

Flow rate is a very important part of a UVS as it's all about contact time to slow and it will boil your tank to fast and it won't do anything

A 25w can handle 1700l per hour I can't comment on anything larger or smaller as I have only run 25w one unit or many run back to back

But I would expect that any company selling a uv filter combo would have spent time and money researching the right unit to match the filter flow I maybe wrong but I would have done my own research first before buying a filter uv filter combo

The only other issue could be if the uv sleeve brakes then your filter is out of action which is why I like solo units as more things on a filter means more to go wrong

I've just received a canister filter with a UV in it. I ordered one without as a) I'm not convinced and b) er, I have one.

The internal uv I have in the tropical fw tank is 24w (might be overkill) as the tank is 150 gal. The filter guide says the canister UV is 5w - the filter says it is rated for marine so 5w seems a bit low?

I don't mind the UV as insurance but I'm not really sold on UV going into canister filters. I know the company will have done their homework but it seems to me the UV requires a certain flow rate and the canister requires a certain flow rate. I don't get the logic, I can only assume someone is asking for them as I really had to be careful not to order one by mistake (but got one anyway it seems, lol).

I'm interested if the logic of running uv inside a canister filter makes sense?

I guess the company has put the UV in the filter to hide it out if the way. Looking at the guide book it looks like the UV is in a separate housing, I assume it self regulates flow but hope to set it up and running on the weekend.

I've just received a canister filter with a UV in it. I ordered one without as a) I'm not convinced and b) er, I have one.

The internal uv I have in the tropical fw tank is 24w (might be overkill) as the tank is 150 gal. The filter guide says the canister UV is 5w - the filter says it is rated for marine so 5w seems a bit low?

I don't mind the UV as insurance but I'm not really sold on UV going into canister filters. I know the company will have done their homework but it seems to me the UV requires a certain flow rate and the canister requires a certain flow rate. I don't get the logic, I can only assume someone is asking for them as I really had to be careful not to order one by mistake (but got one anyway it seems, lol).

I'm interested if the logic of running uv inside a canister filter makes sense?

I guess the company has put the UV in the filter to hide it out if the way. Looking at the guide book it looks like the UV is in a separate housing, I assume it self regulates flow but hope to set it up and running on the weekend.

It's late I mean: I'm interested if the logic of running uv inside a canister filter makes sense from a flow rate pov?

Back
Top Bottom