UV sterilizer and adding bio stones to tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I have a quick question that I think I know the answer to but would like to hear your opinions. I have a 60 gal FW tank w/a marineland 350 canister and 400 bio-wheel filtration system that has been running a green killing machine 24 watt uv steriliser for 3 days now. The water is now clear as a bell. Cleaner then I have ever seen a tank look actually. Today I have two bio stones arriving that I ordered a while back. I also have an Aquabella Freshwater Aquarium Water Treatment System coming with it. I ordered all of this as I couldn't get the slightly milky look to the water to disappear even though the tank was fully cycled and all my water specs were within normal ranges aside from GH and KH. South TX water is mighty hard I learned after the setup. I will slowly reduce those issues with RO water as I do the water changes and substrate vacuuming.

My question is, should I shut the down the UV while adding the bio stone and water system to the tank and for how long? OR should I hold off on using those at all since everything is so clear now? My father always told me if something isn't broke, don't fix it.

I Am assuming that the stones and the water treatment use free floating bacteria to "seed" the structures in the tank and filter media, with fresh bacteria. What I don't know is if these systems rely on free floating bacteria in the water to work as well, or if they just restock the colonies living on the surface features of the tank and filter media? I am also thinking that even if they are free floating bacteria, the bio rocks state that they release new colonies every 30 minutes, so reproduction wouldn't be an issue with them and the sterilisers either. The water system comes with what appears to be syringes of bacteria though, not sure on how they function yet as they haven't arrived, but it looks like something that is added monthly so again reproduction might not be an issue.

Any help from those that know these products or the science behind them is most appreciated. I believe the UV should be shut down for at least 24/48 hours after the introduction of the bacteria just to be safe. I'm not sure on this at all though as I have never used a steriliser or a water treatment system before. I come from south eastern MA where our tap water was from an aquifer that was so pure no chlorine treatment was needed. The GH was about as soft as it gets too. This water down here is like liquid rock :(

I've never used bio stones or the water treatment your talking about and honestly I don't see why your tank needs them if your water is fine. I'm with your father in don't try to fix what isn't broken. If you do use the bacteria product you need to turn your UV off but I can also tell you a lot of those products really don't do anything to help seed a tank. Your tank has been up and running and I am assuming has fish so the filters are seeded and don't need anything additional. If you could return the products IMO you should. Also if you want you can turn off the UV and only run it 1x week for 24 hours to keep your water sparkling but honestly it shouldn't need it.

Thanks, that's the way I was feeling about it as well after researching it some more. I was at wits end over the milkiness not clearing. The UV did a great job of resolving that or it was a huge coincidence, either way the water is sparkling right now. The only claim I like about the water treatment system is the ability to break down nitrates into nitrogen gas. That would be a nice bonus if true. The order came from petco's warehouse so returning the shipment won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom