Uv sterilizer and gph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacigia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone out here could let me know if what I'm doing is correct. I recently bought the Corallife TurboTwist 12x 36 watt uv sterilizer. Reason for buying this is that I plan to put some diamond blue discuss in the next week. I installed my sterilizer yesterday and the outflow makes a funny noise. It has its intervals and kind of sounds like a bulp. So that made me question if my pump is strong enough, I have a Rio+ 2500 and it says that the GPH on it is 872GPH. What do you guys think? Is that enough? :p

did you purge all of the air out of it successfully? it could just be air bubbles letting go.

Could also be too much flow. I know the manufacturer says up to 1200gph or something, but I don't think I'd run it that high myself.

I've read where if the waterflow is too much, the uv sterilizer is useless. The pump that I have is recommended for up to 80g tank, that would mean I would have to go lower then that? Would that be good for the tank?

Yeah, you want to size the pump based on what you want out of the UV, not for the tank. Like I said, the manufacturer says 400-1200gph for the 12x, but I would stay on the low end. This will increase the amount of time the water is in contact with the UV light.

By the way, is there a specific reason you're opting to use a UV?

I want to raise discus, my brother in law has been raising for quite some time now, and is giving up his for an aworanna. So I'll be taking over the discuss.

Back
Top Bottom