Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vinlyn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm probably going on a week's trip down into New Mexico, and will have a pet sitter come in daily to take care of my parrot and feed the fish.

Do you folks do anything special to prepare your tanks when you will be gone like that?

Thanks!

I'd suggest portioning out each day's feeding into a 7 day pill organizer. People who don't keep fish generally do not know how to feed fish appropriately. Years ago I left for a few days and had a friend come feed my fish... I came back to nasty water and a mess in the tank. The pill organizer makes it practically foolproof. :)

*edit* An extra water change before you go is never a bad idea. Your lights can go on timers to simplify things for your pet sitter, or you can just leave the lights off the whole time. Have fun!

Last edited:
Vacation Tank Keeping

I'm probably going on a week's trip down into New Mexico, and will have a pet sitter come in daily to take care of my parrot and feed the fish.

Do you folks do anything special to prepare your tanks when you will be gone like that?

Thanks!

Hello vin...

I leave for a couple of weeks at a time and have several tanks. I just feed a little more a couple of weeks before I leave. Two days before I leave, I stop all feeding and change a little more water than usual. Fish can easily manage a couple of weeks without food. They'll live off the little fat reserve from the extra food and I come home to a clean tank.

I don't have anyone else feed my fish. I go so far as to hide all the food. I do have someone come every day just to make sure everything is running, but they never feed.

B

Back
Top Bottom