vacation help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is in the process of fish-in cycling. I'm going to leave for 3 days. If I do a water change the day I leave will the tank be okay? Will the levels of ammonia and other things build up too much if its not tended to for a few days?

You could do a water change the day before you leave and then dose again with Prime the day you are leaving. Prime will bind ammonia, making it non-toxic to your fish, for 48 hours give or take, might buy you some time.

I would do a large change before going and do not feed the fish until your return. That will keep nitrogen compounds to a minimum.

Aiiiight. I'm running low on my current dechlorinator so ill pick up the all recommended prime today. Well see how it goes

i think youd be fine,just do a really big water change right before,dont feed them,and do a 5x dose of prime.

i think youd be fine,just do a really big water change right before,dont feed them,and do a 5x dose of prime.

This is what I would do if in your scenario. And definitely don't use any kind of automatic or vacation feeder that could foul your water.

siva said:
This is what I would do if in your scenario. And definitely don't use any kind of automatic or vacation feeder that could foul your water.

Yeah I wasn't gonna do that anyways cuz I don't want the food and fish crap to add more ammonia to the tank

Yeah they will be fine 3 days w/o food. Feed them before you do the water change before you leave, and then right when you get back :)

Back
Top Bottom