vacation planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpchin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Guys
I'm leaving for a 10 day vacation. Fish will be fed every other day by neighbor. I am pre filling small bags with food to try to keep control of the amount of food they get. My big question is will the fish be o.k. without a water change for 10 days? I have a 50 gallon tank that's been up and running for 5+ years. It's a community tank with dwarf cichlids, tetras, and rainbow fish. The rainbows(2) are about 5 inches long,2 other rainbows about 2 inches long, one other rainbow 4" long, bolivian ram is about 3" 6 tetra's about 2" each. Also a cichlid about 3 inches long. That's about 30" of fish. I've had the rainbows for at least 3 years. they were only about 1" long when I got them. Some of my tetras have been in the tank for 4 years. I have live plants as well. My normal water change(about 20 gals.) is done every 3-4 days. I do this mainly because I enjoy working on my aquarium. All my tests are always good. I think that explains the longevity of my fish. Any way what are your thoughts about waiting 10 days between water changes? I will do 50% change right before I leave. If I need to, my brother will come in and do the change for me but he is not an aquarist, so there is a chance that something could go wrong. Thoughts please.:thanks:

my tank

36993-albums9382-picture37094.jpg

First off, the inches per gallon rule is junk. Just ignore that. It's all about bioload. Second off, doing a 50% w/c before you leave will be good. I myself think that they could go without the water changes because of all your plants.

Nice tank!
You should be fine for 10 days without a water change. I go much longer in my 16 gallon, I'm supposed to do weekly but we all know how that is :) Just make sure your neighbor doesn't overfeed, which it seems you have that under control. Don't sweat, but if you're really worried just do a big water change before you go, like the day before, and you should be set. I like this tank, the table design is cool!

Thanks so much big b and nils for your replies. I will be doing a large water change (50%) the night before we leave and hope for the best. Thanks again:flowers:

Yeah the table design is cool but it probably costed a lot. Am I right?

Use a pill container with compartments for different days of the week. Its easier to deal with than plastic bags.

Your tank will be fine for 10 days

Agree with what's said and that is a very unique tank! Very cool :)

I used ziplock bags when I went on vacation. I just told the caretaker to pick 1 bag a day per tank.

Caleb

10 days? That's nothing just attend to it when you get back.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should be fine, I've gone about 2 weeks without doing a water change and everything's still okay except for a little high nitrate, but once I started maintaining it again, it dropped.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for all your help. Back from vacay and everything is fine. My neighbor fed the pre-measured portions every other day and everyone looks great. First time I've Ieft my tank for that long. I've left for a few days but not 10 so I was thrilled everything worked out.

Back
Top Bottom