veggie for plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayecarl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone! newbie here and im just wondering hoe to prepare veggies for my pleco... its a young hifin pleco about 3 inch and i want to get it started with veggies... so what kind of veggie how it is prepare particularly... thanks!

still working on my profile...

I am not sure exactly all the veggies used. Some folks blanch zuchinni for a minute or two in a cup of water in the microwave.

ayecarl said:
wow... i guess nobody is interested... thanks anyway...

Wow, patience my new friend :). I feed my Otos blanched zucchini (peel them, cut into medallions, boil them for a few minutes until soft then run under cold water to stop the cooking). Other people do the same with cucumber.

I supplement this once in a while, but algae wafers are definitely easier. Half my fish havn't realized the zucchini is food even though I've been giving it to them every week for the last couple months.

I do high quality algae wafers and supplement with blanched peas once a week and blanched zucchini once a week. I cut the zucchini into planks and submerge in water in a coffee mug. I use a mug I purchased for this so it has never been washed with soap. If you're using an old mug be sure to rinse it thoroughly to remove any soap residue. Blanch the veggies in the mic for about 2 mins, depending on the power of your mic and the amount you are cooking of course. You want the zuchinni to be easy to pierce but still firm enough that it will hold it's shape in a veggie clip. I cook the peas the same way, but they cook much quicker, and need popped out of their shells after.

I do give Sucker the wafers, but the Corys love them. They all get blanched peas (put them in water, nuke for about a min) and cucumber. They love the peas and are starting to like the cucumber. I shell and mush up the peas, but leave the skin on the cucumber medallions.

I cut cucumber into planks and blanch it for 2 minutes. I run it under cold water when I'm done and weigh it down with a small rock. My ottos love it!

Back
Top Bottom