Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Everyone knows vegetables are good for aquarium fish , so what types of vegetable are best ? Zucchini , watermelon ... what about potatoes ?

Most commonly, I see people steaming zuchinni and feeding homegrown or organic veggies. Dark leafy greens, like Kale (I would blanch) and Romaine.

One of the other members said watermelon can foul the water if left in overnight.

Green Beans blanched or cooked (canned - I use "no salt" variety others use regular). Favorite of the Plecos and BN. Mine took a few tries before they got interested in eating them, so go lightly on how much you add to start.

I don't know about what is nutritionally best, but I feed mine zucchini and lettuce a lot. I've also fed them cucumber and peas, which they seemed to especially like.

I do know that iceberg lettuce is less nutritional than other types, so I'd watch for that, although feeding them iceberg lettuce isn't going to harm them in any way.

I've never seen anyone feed fish watermelon or potatoes, but that's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done. I just have no idea on either of them.

Yellow summer squash is a favorite in my tanks. (Like zucchini but yellow.) Dandelion greens blanched or boiled like kale. I feed my mollies peas somewhat regularly even without any bloating. They love them. If you can find unoiled and unsalted nori, it's just seaweed. Around here it's cheaper than buying seaweed at the pet store. Ymmv.

One of my molly tanks loves cucumber the other hates it. Even though I've juggled fish between the tanks. *shrug*

I've had terrible experiences with watermelon. We feed zucchini, spinach, peas, carrots, apple, grapes cut in half, tiny pieces of bananas... I made a snail jelly with every piece of produce in our fridge that was bruised once and it always goes quickly. Food processors for the win!

How exactly did you make the jelly ? I would think if you just purée it it would be a huge mess in the tank , what did you use to congeal the mixture ?

Put the substance in a food processor and pulse until it's smooth. Separately, mix gelatin with boiling water and then add it to the puree. I then pour it into tiny ice cube trays and stick it in the freezer.

I poor mine in a flat plastic glad ware and freeze. The crop frozen into nuggets. I could never wash an ice cube tray. Way to lazy.

I use boiled green leafy lettuce for all my live bearers. I use cucumbers mostly for my snails. They nibble on the cucumber and destroy the lettuce.

I make a raw "mysis shrimp scampi" if you will. So garlic, parsley, and thawed frozen food mixed up with some tank water and then refrozen into eggcrate for portion control. Really anything I have around the house ends up in the mix so lettuce or anything leafy, I put beets through the cheese grater sometimes in hopes of enhancing color, peeled frozen peas for larger herbivores and constipation, apples/hand fruit, cukes/zukes - pretty much everything20170714_154853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom