Very high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fbonneville

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but already learned a lot from this place.

I am having an issue with my well established tank concerning nitrates. My levels are off the chart even after doing PWC for 4 days in a row.

I have a 75g with 9 small fish.

Ammonia registers at . 25
Nitrites are 0
And nitrates show up as blood red, looks like 80ppm or more.

Should I just keep doing PWC?

What test kits are you using?

Test your tap water too. If you are having any ammonia in an established tank it may be coming in tap water. This is also true of the nitrate.

How long has the tank been setup?
What is in it?
Were there other fish in there before?

Welcome to AA :)

In addition to what Fishguy asked, what kind of filter do you have? How often do you clean the filter? Reason I ask is because I used to have nitrate issues until I started cleaning my canister filters every other week.

I am using an API master test kit ( learned this here ).

I tested the tap water for nitrates yesterday and it showed 0ppm. I have not yet tested for ammonia.

I have had the tank for 8+ years and unfortunately was one of those guys who didn't do PWC. I am trying to correct my ways but I just can't get the nitrates down.

I have a couple neons, a yellow tetra and 5 fish which I have no clue what they are.

They are red, the female is gold and look similar to redfish.

I wouldn't do a lot of PWC's right now. If you've had the tank for 8+ years and never done a PWC, you'll shock the fish by doing a lot at this point. I would just do ~25% a week for now until you get them to a manageable level.

I have a marineland c360 and I just got an FX4 today. I'm running both now hoping to cycle the FX4 to replace the 360. The gaskets are leaking in the 360 and everyone is backordered so I'm working on plan B.

We just moved the tank and fish about a month ago to our new house. I had 5 fish before moving but lost 2 in the process so I added 5 new fish. So the majority of the fish are not used to this high nitrate environment.

It sounds like the unknowns are cherry barbs.

I wouldn't say only 25% weekly, I think you could do more than that. But do give them a break for a few days. If you don't see any issues in them from the water changes you just did then start up a schedule of every three days, then every two, etc. Don't get too caught up on numbers. What you have now is obviously not killing them no need to rush fixing it just to stress them even worse.

Back off and test the nitrate every week or two. The changes you are trying to make are not critical for the immediate future, it is a long term thing, worry about the long term numbers.

Uhh yeah, xp4 Rena.

Any idea how long I should run both filters before I can switch to the xp4?

I would want to put the foam in too... For some reason, I'm thinking the marineland canister has a round foam piece, is that right? If so, you could always cut it if you had to in order to make it fit in the XP4 baskets.

Here's pics of tank and red fishies

Attachments

• image-1378535395.jpg
    image-1378535395.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2073078596.jpg
    image-2073078596.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2214601371.jpg
    image-2214601371.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 70
Hey, that's a great looking tank. Very simple and well thought out :) Wish I could help with an ID. I do see a neon in the last pic though ;)

I would just cut the foam to fit in the baskets and go with it.

I'll back off the water changes and do it every 2-3 days until I can get it down. I'll also be working on swapping my 360 media into the xp4 this evening.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You can either use Chemi-pure elite in your filter which will absorb nitrates and phosphates, add lava rock to your aquarium (which has pores where anerobic bacteria will establish and break down the nitrates into nitrogen and oxygen) or you can use plants. Even some duckweed that floats on the surface would help. Any of those will help control nitrates. The only other option is water changes. If you want to make it easier in the long run, you can use a drip system that constantly adds new water a few drops per second and add a drain. That way it's a constant water change all the time. Your water bill might go up though.

Back
Top Bottom