Very weird light problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midwestsmoke74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, this seems very strange to me but maybe somebody has a logical answer. I have a 10 gallon aquarium that has two bulbs in the cover. This morning I woke up to find the light bulb cover laying on top of my water. Also the cover had kind of a "cracked glass" effect where it looks like the whole cover is about to shatter. This disturbs me because the aquarium is not even a month old and when it broke there were pieces of the plastic cover in my tank. If anybody know what could cause my light covers to crack like this I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like defective materials to me unless you switched the bulbs for ones that were higher wattage and they produced too much heat.

I'd take it back to the store and ask for a replacement.

hot light bulb, cold water. splashing water onto bulbs has been known to shatter them.

is this a glass top or a plexiglass 'window' in a plastic hood?

I've had a lightbulb break off right at the base, and go into the water. I was soo pissed that I sworn to never buy a lightbulb from that company ever again.

If you had the tank for only a month, I'd say take the hood back and exchange it. If they ask for the rest of the tank, tell them it's impossible to bring it in without killing your fish.

It is a plastic hood and I've already found a new fish store. The one I was going to has given me awful advice thats killed some fish already. Im waiting for replacement hood. Thanks for your help and input.

Back
Top Bottom