Vinegar test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aja31

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to get some rocks for my new aquarium and I know you are supposed to test them to see if they bubble with some acid. I have plenty of vinegar but I wasn't sure how much testing is enough.

I've heard everything from just put a couple drops on to soak the entire rock.

My question is, if I soak the entire rock and only a very small part fizzes is that ok? Or does the rock have to be completely bubble free?

I have fairly big rocks, I would need gallons of vinegar to dunk them. Does it still work if I dilute it down with tap water?

I wouldn't dilute the vinegar. I don't think you need to cover every square inch of the rock, but I'm no expert. When I tested mine I just kind of splashed the surface area of the rock.

I found out later that getting fizz doesn't mean the rock is bad per se. It means the there is calcium in the rock and it will affect you tank water's chemistry. The vinegar test just helps you make an informed decision on whether or not to use it.

Alright i'll soak them for a few days, scrub them real good, boil them, soak them again, and finally test to see if they change my water parameters after sitting in a bucket for a day or two.

It just feels like a waste to spend lots of money on rocks at the pet store when I have rocks all around my house.

DO NOT boil rocks. You risk a scalding explosion if the rock has any water& air trapped inside it. Put it in a pan or bucket and pour boiling water over it to sterilize. OS.

Well they all passed the vinegar test. Does anyone know anything else about identifying which rocks are safe? I'll include a picture of them here. I don't want to introduce anything dangerous to my fish/plants. I just don't know what else I should be looking for in terms of rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom