Violent reaction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
How extreme should the reaction be when testing an unsuitable aquarium rock? I broke a couple pebbles of gravel, and put them in a shallow dish of 3% hydrogen peroxide. They slowly formed About three or for bubbles. (Not the fizzing bubbles I expected.) the rocks appear crystaline, and are epoxy coated. Should I be worried about this less than impressive reaction?

Edit: I just tested a clamshell to compare. the clamshell made many more bubbles instantly.

I didn't know hydrogen peroxide could be used to test rock compatability. Are you sure that it will work?

i was told by a lfs to test with vineger? no reaction and i still have the gravel(not the test gravel tho)

Peroxide will react with mineral catalysts... Manganese dioxide is a catalyst to break it down.... You may not actually be finding out if the substance is incompatable with FW aquariums, rather if there are catalysis that speed up the decomposion of H2O2 present.

Use Hydrochloric acid (for pools) or phoshporic acid (rust cleaner) and just put a drop on. That will tell you difintitively (wear gloves). Vinegar works for the most part but sometimes gives unclear results depending on acid concetration.

Just use vinegar... it works fine

I never heard of Hydrogen Peroxide being used.

Back
Top Bottom