Vivarium/Paludarium set up- How is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 20g high planted and the planted tank isn't for me. I've always wanted to do a half/half tank.. so i've done a lot of research and i've been planning the tank ever since.. here's what i have so far, let me know what you think (very rough sketches)

img_676292_0_82dd4804d286e6a4ce917f98f355821a.jpg

img_676292_1_08c8b11080274840609132acc39d9988.jpg

img_676292_2_b1ece893d09316d708a3ebd5daaff0cc.jpg

img_676292_3_00d760ccc1bf4fbbef0ca9f49b07872a.jpg

img_676292_4_f2e0653010f1602e5a967a5ea9f7512c.jpg

img_676292_5_3820141206f8ca7ead048a3f3e67ccc2.jpg

thanks for the comments! :D I'm actually not quite sure what i want to put in there... I have some harlequin rasporas, and three cories from the current tank that i'm moving to a 10g.. I'm not sure i want to put them in the paludarium. I was going to leave them in the 10g and put something diff. in the paludarium. I was thinking maybe a betta (tolerable of colder water) and newts or frogs.. Any suggestions on that?? I have been thinking so much about the construction that i haven't even put too much thought into what to actually put in it!
:lol:

If you're going for anything semi-aquatic, you may want a sloped side to the land mass, for easier climbing.

Frogs can be pretty good climbers so the branch might give them a means of escape if your not carefull.

you may want a sloped side to the land mass, for easier climbing.

That rock pile all the way to the right in the last drawing is going to be more of a sloped pile rather than steps. Would that be ok? Are newts ok climbers? I'm leaning a bit more towards newts because i heard they require a bit less maintenance.

Frogs can be pretty good climbers so the branch might give them a means of escape if your not carefull.

If i do decide to go with some FBT's, there's no need to worry because i have a top that covers the tank. =)

Any suggestions about the inhabitants?

FBT owner here....

I have 2. They are wonderful little guys. Very active and cheery. But I have heard that they should not be housed with other pets.

They can retain some toxins even if captive bred and will try to eat anything that wiggles. Also, they take a lot of constant cleaning, as they won't eat any bugs that aren't wiggling, and poop A LOT.

for amphibs, i would go with something like a salamandar or a newt. newts are a lot of fun.

If the tank is relatively tall, you could even try a tree frog, but go with something somewhat hardy, like a green tree frog. No red eyes or white lips.

maybe a vietnamese moss toad

you might even be able to do a water snake, if you get a pygmy. but it too will eat the fish.

if you have at least 30% land, you could do anoles or certain small geckos.

just make sure whatever amphib or lizard you get, you really watch it for a while and get it hooked on bugs, not fish. and try to set it up so that the amphib/lizards are smaller than the fish, or are definately not going to be able to swallow it whole.

i am also thinking about a water terra. i want to set one up, but really can't think of any amphibs/lizards that won't eat a fish if the fish is small enough.

As far as a filter for the waterfall (around 10-11" high) goes... Would i be ok with the Fluval 1, which is rated at 50gph? or do i need to go with the Fluval 2 (105gph)? The fluval 2 is much larger, but has flow control. The fluval 1 doesn't.. .I'm sure i'll be able to hide the fluval 2, but it is pretty large. What does everyone think?

I picked the Fluvial 2 because the media space is big enough to put a media bag of whaterver I want to run in it.

I agree, go Fluval 2...the head pressure will slow it down a fair bit.

..and consider newts (and possibly some toads)...they tend to be more aquatic than most salamander species.

Back
Top Bottom