volcanic soil making my tank water really dark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gray_ismyname

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know it said on the instructions that that is normal, but are there any other stipulations like should I be running the filter while it's settling? If anyone can tell me the dos and do not that would be amazing! Any other advice for beginners would also be appreciated. I just do not want to mess anything up!

it also said it would clear after a few hours but I just turned black anyone know what is happening!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would let it sit for a couple of days. Do a water change, let it sit some more etc. When doing a water change make sure you dont stir up any more substrate into the water column. I like to place a sheet of bubblewrap on the water surface and pour water onto that to avoid disturbing any substrate.

Running the filter with a polishing sponge will help to clear up any particles in the water, but the particles will also clog up your filter. I would hold off on running the filter until most of the blackness has gone, or if you do run the filter make sure you regularly rinse out your sponges/replace your polishing pad.

okay, thank you so much! I am new to having aquariums and am still getting used to it but a lot has cleared but and I did end up running the filter and it helped a bit mainly because I am going to be upgrading the media anyways will probably change most of the water because I have no fish yet thank you for the advice tho :)

Back
Top Bottom