Wal-mart & fish !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should wall-mart keep fish?

• Yes, they should be able to keep whatever they want

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they should learn responsiblitys/ and or personell that are knowledgeable

• Most wallmarts know what there doing just a occasional BAD walmart!

• DOWN WITH THE WAL-MART! THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THERE DOING HALF THE TIME!

• Total voters

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok every i went to my local walmart and they just do not know how to keep fish!!!!!!!!!! and so they have multiple dead fish, with some feeding off of them, and also they dont know about brackish ! they couldent tell you anything! is anyone else out there feel the same? that there should be a orginazition against wal-mart? i mean what if they sold dead puppies? or sick ones with dead ones in there? i mean this is just un-humaine! there cichlids are in a 20-15 gallon tank with close to 20 in there??!?!??

Not another Walmart post. :roll: :|
I've been to several with mixed feelings. Some are excellent, some are not. The whole Walmart debate is tired.

Im getting conserned about all this talk about them..
it seems like it might be a locality problem (some good some bad).

Half the fish are dead when I go. Occasionally I find a decent looking fish. Oh yea, and they sold me the freakin' channel cat. They had no idea what it was and sold him to me as an upsidedown catfish. Me being new at the whole aquarium thing, bought him. I get home and was like "How come he doesn't swim upsidedown?" They need to hire people that know what they're doing.

It is kind of old. But they come up every month or so, just as they fade away from our memories. I have been to plenty of fish stores with dead fish and no information given to their staff or worse yet myth like information from some book published in the 1950's. Walmart just ries to do too many things at once, luckily non around here keep fish, just the supplies.

tkos said:
It is kind of old. But they come up every month or so, just as they fade away from our memories. I have been to plenty of fish stores with dead fish and no information given to their staff or worse yet myth like information from some book published in the 1950's. Walmart just ries to do too many things at once, luckily non around here keep fish, just the supplies.

That happens at alot of fish stores, not just Walmart and you really can't fault a store for not doing your research first, especially someone new to the hobby.

well i know people think this is tired out, so doesnt that mean that someone should do somthing about the wal-marts that ARE treating fish badly? i mean if it comes up every month then that means its a reacurring problem, and it should be righted, or else in year 2299, we willl still be talking about how walmart abuses its martian populations! does anyone know about any orginizations for this? or maber in the same general direction?

Fluff said:
That happens at alot of fish stores, not just Walmart and you really can't fault a store for not doing your research first, especially someone new to the hobby.

well wall-mart just does not care, i mean i dont really care to address WHAT the people buy but the CONDITION of the fish, i mean i just think its plain wrong, and that nobody has seen this (examples. like PITA and them) but i guess im just a few of many!

virus said:
Fluff said:

well wall-mart just does not care, i mean i dont really care to address WHAT the people buy but the CONDITION of the fish, i mean i just think its plain wrong, and that nobody has seen this (examples. like PITA and them) but i guess im just a few of many!

Well, I won't argue with you about rather Walmart is good or bad. Nor do I want to defend the bad ones, but there are some good ones so grouping them all together and saying all Walmarts are bad is wrong. And, maybe they should hire educated people to run the fish dept, but most hire kids and pay them min wage. Finding a professional aquarist to run them for those wages isn't gonna happen. Nor would it be profitable for them. Right or wrong, large corporations are in it for one reason, money. And, a few fish dying aren't gonna make them change anything. It just seems fruitless to continue to complain. I just don't buy from them. That's the only real way to get them to stop.

yeah.....sigh...... lol well......yeah i submit o great walmart! so make money off poor dieing fish! and sweatshops !!!! and thouse annoying greeting people!

virus said:
yeah.....sigh...... lol well......yeah i submit o great walmart! so make money off poor dieing fish! and sweatshops !!!! and thouse annoying greeting people!

:?: *sigh* I should have known better. I never said it was right. Just trying to show you the reality of it. Sorry you can't understand. Just get tired of reading all the complaint but no one complaining ever does anything to try to change it anyway. It's all just... talk. Oh well. Carry on.

The tanks are real bad at our local wal-mart so bad that I refuse to buy any kind of fish supplies from them. I will go else where.

Bhunsucker said:
The tanks are real bad at our local wal-mart so bad that I refuse to buy any kind of fish supplies from them. I will go else where.

Kudos to you Bhunsucker.

I buy from the local walmart on occasion. Their tanks are in good shape and the fish seem healthy. Most of the people I've seen working in the pet section knew what they were doing. The one over in Abilene is a different story, and I won't buy from them under any condition. Just depends on the local store.

virus said:
Ok every i went to my local walmart and they just do not know how to keep fish!!!!!!!!!! and so they have multiple dead fish, with some feeding off of them, and also they dont know about brackish ! they couldent tell you anything! is anyone else out there feel the same? that there should be a orginazition against wal-mart? i mean what if they sold dead puppies? or sick ones with dead ones in there? i mean this is just un-humaine! there cichlids are in a 20-15 gallon tank with close to 20 in there??!?!??

What do you expect? Walmart is not a pet store nor is it a fish specialty store; it's a "you can spend your money on damn near anything here" store. Do you really expect expertise from high school jocks or old hippies? Do you expect those sorts of people to know one iota about fish? It's rare enough to find it in an actual franchised pet store like Petsmart or Petco; you're asking for aquarium expertise out of a company that sells tires, playpens, condoms, shirts, and tylenol (in addition to pet supplies) all at the same time.

Go to Walmart to buy fish flakes. They come in a can and are sealed from the "bad fish seller" germs. But going there to buy any live animal is just asking for trouble. :roll:

Go to a local fish store. (i.e. NON-franchise; mom & pop joints) Talk to people who work there. Become friends. Count on them. Repeatedly go back.

That's the only way you're going to get sound pet advice of any sort from someone who knows what they're talking about.

When walmart stops making money selling fish they will stop selling fish. If you really have a problem with walmart selling fish....don't ever shop there for fish. You can't complain and continue to shop there occasionally. If people stop buying fish from them they will either stop selling them or try to do a better job. I've never bought a fish from walmart. I like stores that focus on fish and pets and I wouldn't want walmart to put them out of business locally so I don't buy any "pet" goods from walmart at all.

virus said:

:roll:

Virus...if you don't like wal-mart...don't go in there. Those "annoying greeting people" are probably some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Kinda too bad that take their job with so much enthusiasm, isn't it?

I just really hate it when people diss walmart so badly. I used to be one of the "jerky kids" who worked there, until I became manager of my own department. The people there are the nicest you will ever meet. The company really is built on a good background, and they give so much back to the community. I understand not all stores are as good as say, the one I work at...but still. Enough about that though.

Everyone else said it nicely. If you don't like it, don't buy. Pretty soon, if they are making no money off the fish, then they will fade it out and replace fish with some product that does sell.

I work at wal-mart and our pets guy does a great job. Not just the department manager, but the sales associate in pets as well. They both have a lot of good information. They can't help it if the fish guy brings them puffers and stuff. They try to do what they can. He's put freshwater salt in the dragonfish and puffer tanks, but it's just freshwater salt. In fact, the puffers looked fine to me. All the fish at our store are great. I see them every day. I've bought all my fish from wal-mart and the only ones that died were neons, because neons are just darn picky...

Personally I am not a fan of Wal-Mart stores, and thier fish dept. is just one of the many reasons. I worked at a wal mart store my 2nd year of college and thier practices of managing employees, pay, etc, etc are just simply unacceptable in my opinion.

As far as thier fish dept. goes, I have to agree with Fluff - I am sure somewhere out there a Wal Mart has a decent fish dept. It sure isnt my local store though, I have watched associates pouring nearly entire bottles of quick cure into tanks to try to clear ich up.

Ive been to local LFS that are as bad as Wal Mart though, and I find Pet Co. and more are not better.

Back
Top Bottom