Walmart FW kept puffers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some greenish puffers with dark spots on them kept in the FW tanks at Walmart, is there a chance that these might be the dwarf puffers?

I would say dwarf puffers are more yellow-white with black spots but they do change color some when stressed. DPs have irregular spots instead of perfectly round ones.
The puffer list has some good pictures of various puffers but not a good DP pic.
http://www.pufferlist.com/
For dwarf puffer info try
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

ouch.. it looks like the pic of the Green Spotted Puffer.. brackish.. hope the little guys will be ok.. what am I saying.. they would have to be saved by a copentent person... :(

also of their african black ghost knifefish lol and thouse poor cichlids :cry:!!! they keep 20 of them in a friggen 20 gallon!!!! man i need to send these guys to humane judge cuz they just dont know how to keep them!!!!!!

*wheeze* ok im done ranting..................

I wonder if there is someone that can be contacted on the corperate level about this.. there is no way that the normal customer is going to know that these fish need heavy brackish or SW conditions after buying them out of a FW tank.. :(

that is rideculous. Personally wal mart stores inc should not be allowed to sell fish on any level. I remember one time watching an associate poor an entire bottle of quick cure into a tank with fish that had ich. When I asked him what he was doing he said he has found more works better. He didnt realise that quick cure can do nothing when the parasite is encrusted on the fish.

If anyone knows who can be contacted on the coorperate level please PM me and let me know. There are tons of humane violations my wal mart makes towards there fish.

I wonder if there is someone that can be contacted on the corperate level about this.. there is no way that the normal customer is going to know that these fish need heavy brackish or SW conditions after buying them out of a FW tank..

I have a co-worker that has a FW tank that purchased a couple of these fish from our local Wal-Mart also. I'm surprised that Wal-mart is selling these. I have not seen the Black Knife.

Although writing a letter expressing your concerns is very admirable, and I firmly belive you should, I think the only way to see any results with a giant, callous chain like Wal-Mart is to join up with a larger organization. The first organization that comes to mind is PETA. Even though I think they go a little to far sometimes, they do know how to generate publicity, and are very dedicated. They would definitely be opposed to the deplorable aquatic conditions at Wal-Mart. (When they're done with Wal-Mart, though, they might come after you! http://www.helpinganimals.com/Factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=30) Local Humane Societies might be another resource to look into.

Good luck!

I do realize that short term exposure to fresh water might not be fatal to the GSP but it does compermize there life expectancy. I was just concerned that they might not be aware of this. Otherwise the store in my area is fine.. the conditions look good actually..

The department manager of pets at the walmart I work at does a good job with our fish. He had a nice big tank a few years ago. He knows how to treat the diseases of the fish, and he treats them everyday just in case. Walmart supplies everything... so why not. We have dragonfish in FW tanks. That's where I bought mine. As soon as i get this 125gal tank up and running im going to turn my 55gal into a brackish with for my dragonfish and a few new additions maybe. Walmart says on the dragonfish sticker that they like salt. However, they make it sound like its freshwater salt, and not marine salt...

To wal-mart's credit, many/most of the GSP's that I see at any LFS look like crap.
><
___

Did I just give wal-mart credit? forget what I just said. . . .

The walmart around here has a new thing now called "the fish of the month" first it was pacus then african knife's,now they have this wierd type of blue ram that they call dwarf clown cichlids.

We've got pacus in at the store I work at. We also have peacock eels and dragonfish as our oddball fish. We are getting rid of the dragonfish though, because they are "mysteriously" dying. hmmm....

Everytime I go to walmart(little as possible) all these exotic fish they now have, in almost every tank they have dead ones that the live fish feed off, can you imagine if they every tried to sell saltwater fish or corals, scary

I'm just glad we got a new pet person in our store. He was redoing his inventory of the fish about a week ago... It said he had 400+ feeder goldfish. there were about 35 in the two tanks... that means that in the past month and a half that the girl before him had killed off close to 400 feeder goldfish... Also guppies numbers were in the 150 range and he counted 8 or 9... Sometimes the pet people just have no clue what they are doing, but like I said... some do and obviously some don't. Hey, but whatever sells right? :roll:

I agree... we should do something about this... I sometimes buy off fishes to save them :cry: .. But I am out of place now.. Already have 29 gal, 10 Gal and a 5Gal fully stocked :cry:

All my fish listed are rescued here locally.. Some with problems which I cure them... I spend lot of time on these fishes...

Back
Top Bottom