Walnut Leaves - Aquarium Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was collecting some moss today for my lightbulb terrarium today and our walnut trees have covered a lot of the back back back yard (it's way back there :p) in these pretty leaves. Wondering if they are safe for my betta tank? No chemicals used on them or anything...

Attachments

• image-2189863238.jpg
    image-2189863238.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 106
Walnut leaves are extremely high in Tannic acid. We had a tree in our yard and the leaves would stain everything they were on when they deteriorated. Take some and put in a bucket of water. Test the pH at start, then recheck pH after a week. Be interesting to see the affect. OS.

They are such a pain! We have about 5 or 6 mature trees at least, and all the walnuts they drop are horrendous!

I will do that test. I wouldn't mind it dropping the PH some, and the betta wouldn't either! :lol:

I know Oak and Beech tree leaves are safe but in the back of my mind something is nagging at me about Walnut trees and a certain chemical they release but honestly I can't remember the what or why's.

I looked an had this bookmarked which gives a lot of information about leaves for tank use... Leaf litter | The Skeptical Aquarist.

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom