Wandering Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have 6 Black Ruby Barbs. 3 males and 3 females. All has been fine for many months. All of a sudden, one has isolated itself from the school that us usually very close knit.

I think this is a female (less colorful than the deep red males) and she appears to be rapidly breathing with very quick fin movement while remaining essentially still, but not hiding and remaining at mid level.

I did the same day this started, add some new plants which also did raise some bottom detritus.
I'm one week into two week water change cycle.

Is she ill or or 'in heat' or pregnant?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Neill

I'm one week into two week water change cycle.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds like you're in the process of cycling a tank. When any fish is not being itself, the first thing you should do is get a reading of your water parameters, i.e., ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc. That's the first step in figuring this out.

David

Hi she could have just been chased by one of the males so was 'catching' her breath so to speak {just like we do when we exercise} Just keep an eye on them and make sure they are not picking on fish in particular.

DavidAl said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds like you're in the process of cycling a tank. When any fish is not being itself, the first thing you should do is get a reading of your water parameters, i.e., ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc. That's the first step in figuring this out.

David

Just mean I'm almost due to do a water change. Will do as you say. Thanks David.

stingrays4 said:
Hi she could have just been chased by one of the males so was 'catching' her breath so to speak {just like we do when we exercise} Just keep an eye on them and make sure they are not picking on fish in particular.

Possible. She is coming to feed and at times and then retiring to the shadows. Seems ok. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom