Want Betta's together, watch this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have a good set up. As long as the filter system is no fast flowing a betta would love it.

That may be problematic. Because the tank is 24 inches deep and a few of these fish like poking around and meandering along the bottom, I got a canister filter running and a straight outtake pipe creating water agitation at the surface on one end. Hmmmmm...thanks

I went to the city today and got a filter. I got a big one because I'll be getting a bigger tank anyways and didn't want to waste money on another little one. View attachment 308010it's over kill on this tank but, I like these filters for the adjustable flow. I have it on the lowest setting. Took the cartridge out of the out her one and it have a new one on the other side so it will be aready cycled. Now my angelfish in the other 10g has that other filter again and with a new cartridge. Looking at getting my new tank this week, I hope. Fingers crossed! Gonna order some more plants if I can find good ones. Seems like the last batch I got where not that great. So, gonna be a little more picker with plants. You get what you pay for, that's for sure. Anyways, when I get my tank I'll get a few more girls too. If they have them. [emoji4]
Actually, I think what you're doing is a great idea. While keeping your current bb seeded pad in your tank, while seeding the new pad too. But please heed this advice, a well seeded filter will help greatly, but the entire tank needs to be cycled as well. Beneficial Bacteria need to build up on the gravel and other items in the tank as well before adding more fish...slowly adding more fish.

Still had to modify this one. Had to slow it down so the girls are not being pushed around. It will be better in a bigger tank. For now I used my sponges from my sponge filters. 20180326_210213.jpg

Actually, I think what you're doing is a great idea. While keeping your current bb seeded pad in your tank, while seeding the new pad too. But please heed this advice, a well seeded filter will help greatly, but the entire tank needs to be cycled as well. Beneficial Bacteria need to build up on the gravel and other items in the tank as well before adding more fish...slowly adding more fish.
Yes,This is not my first swim lessen. I have everything I need. I'll be putting down some used sand in the new tank as well, and this is why I put the eco complete down in this tank ahead of time. I have 5 tanks. 75g, 2-10, 5g, and a 3.5. I've done this plenty of times already. Everything will be transferred to the need tank. I can take anything I need from any other tank I have. I got this. but thanks. Not everybody knows, so it's a good point to let others know the rest of my plan and learn from it. It's gonna take me a min. To build a stand for the tank too. So everything will have the time it needs.

Yes,This is not my first swim lessen. I have everything I need. I'll be putting down some used sand in the new tank as well, and this is why I put the eco complete down in this tank ahead of time. I have 5 tanks. 75g, 2-10, 5g, and a 3.5. I've done this plenty of times already. Everything will be transferred to the need tank. I can take anything I need from any other tank I have. I got this. but thanks. Not everybody knows, so it's a good point to let others know the rest of my plan and learn from it. It's gonna take me a min. To build a stand for the tank too. So everything will have the time it needs.
Good going. I was unaware of your other tanks. You've got everything under control it seems. I would like for you to post a pic of your new aquarium once it's all set up and stocked. Good luck.

Good going. I was unaware of your other tanks. You've got everything under control it seems. I would like for you to post a pic of your new aquarium once it's all set up and stocked. Good luck.
I'm posting everything I'm doing, pics included. [emoji4]

Did a 60% water change today. Ammonia was .25 (new bigger filter) shouldn't take long though. I'll dunk a filter off my other tank in there to get the good stuff on the new cartridge. Speed things up a bit.

Picked up a 55g 1/2 off at petco. Another bag of eco complete, Annndd.... another girl.(she's a koi)[emoji4] Gonna see what wood I have out in the garage tomorrow and get started on a stand. I dunked a filter cartridge from one of my other tanks in the girls new filter behind the new cartridge, should help it move along faster. If anything I can take some media balls out of the 75 canister to get things rolling. But, shouldn't have to. I'll test for nitrate in the morning see if we're good. I'll check ammonia levels too just in case.

That may be problematic. Because the tank is 24 inches deep and a few of these fish like poking around and meandering along the bottom, I got a canister filter running and a straight outtake pipe creating water agitation at the surface on one end. Hmmmmm...thanks
Yeah. Betta's like the top and middle of the tanks. They go to the bottom but a lot of times they swim around the top. The flow might be too much.

Picked up a 55g 1/2 off at petco. Another bag of eco complete, Annndd.... another girl.(she's a koi)[emoji4] Gonna see what wood I have out in the garage tomorrow and get started on a stand. I dunked a filter cartridge from one of my other tanks in the girls new filter behind the new cartridge, should help it move along faster. If anything I can take some media balls out of the 75 canister to get things rolling. But, shouldn't have to. I'll test for nitrate in the morning see if we're good. I'll check ammonia levels too just in case.
I knew it! Gotta love Petco and their tank sales! Can't wait to see this setup. I have to stay away from petco for a while hehe.

I knew it! Gotta love Petco and their tank sales! Can't wait to see this setup. I have to stay away from petco for a while hehe.
[emoji23] me too! I'm good for awhile. I'll just go to Wal-Mart for betta's now. I got all the tanks I want.... till garage sales come out. Lol! I would like a 20 gallon for angels to grow out in. But, I'm good on my 75g with the fish I have. So not a big deal. Once I get my 55 up. I be taking down the girls 10g and one of my males tank that's a 3.5g. So i'll have them 2 tanks as extras. That will leave me with a 75, 55, 10, and a 5.5. The other male I have is a long tail. And not putting him in the 55. Short tails are much easier to take care of. My veil is so much maintance for me he's been through a lot and was my first betta. Tail biters are not fun. Finally think I got that under control. It's slowly growing back. He likes the 5 gallon to himself. He's the reason I've learned so much about betta's. Think I've curried him of just about everything. Ich, velvet, fin rot, tail bitting( fin damage), think he had pop eye once, I acted real fast on that just because it looked like it. It's horrible to have watched him go through all that. And I don't wanta go through it again. He's my baby, and most favorite. His name is baby blue. And in different light he looks green, sometimes purple, but low light he's blue.

[emoji23] me too! I'm good for awhile. I'll just go to Wal-Mart for betta's now. I got all the tanks I want.... till garage sales come out. Lol! I would like a 20 gallon for angels to grow out in. But, I'm good on my 75g with the fish I have. So not a big deal. Once I get my 55 up. I be taking down the girls 10g and one of my males tank that's a 3.5g. So i'll have them 2 tanks as extras. That will leave me with a 75, 55, 10, and a 5.5. The other male I have is a long tail. And not putting him in the 55. Short tails are much easier to take care of. My veil is so much maintance for me he's been through a lot and was my first betta. Tail biters are not fun. Finally think I got that under control. It's slowly growing back. He likes the 5 gallon to himself. He's the reason I've learned so much about betta's. Think I've curried him of just about everything. Ich, velvet, fin rot, tail bitting( fin damage), think he had pop eye once, I acted real fast on that just because it looked like it. It's horrible to have watched him go through all that. And I don't wanta go through it again. He's my baby, and most favorite. His name is baby blue. And in different light he looks green, sometimes purple, but low light he's blue.
I really your postings about betta keeping. I only have one beautiful red one in my community tank. I just overhauled my canister filter today. I'm also treating the entire tank for parasites. My male blue Gourami died and when I took him out, I immediately saw evidence of hole in the head disease. Out of curiosity, I looked at a gill dissection and found gill flukes. So the whole tank is being treated for parasites. Everyone in the tank seems fine right now. I haven't added any new fish, plants, or any other items in months and was surprised to find parasites among my fish. I still have 4 beautiful Angels that are fully grown that I've had since they were the size of a quarter when I got them...my babies. I hope my treatment works. I even removed my carbon so it won't diminish the medication level. All water parameters are great with a pH of 6.6 and 82 degrees. Got me a little worried. I haven't had a pathogen problem in years...especially gill flukes.

Here's the newbie. Put her in with the girls this morning20180329_115926.jpgshe flares a little but not anything to worry about. She's just showing off. Not starting anything. And nobody else is either. She's just scoping the tank out. She looks about the same size as my blue girl.

Here the newbie. Put her in with the girls this morningView attachment 308069she flares a little but not anything to worry about. She's just showing off. Not starting anything. And nobody else is either. She's just scoping the tank out. She looks about the same size as my blue girl.
She's beautiful! Kind of reminds me of my 2 marbled Angels with her marking pattern.

She's beautiful! Kind of reminds me of my 2 marbled Angels with her marking pattern.
Yeah, got my male that could breed with any of the girls, the baby's would be just as gorgeous as he is. This is Hellboy IMAG3456.jpg he's going in the 55 with the girls.[emoji4]

The Big Guppy my first betta in many years is a tail biter. I keep telling him to stop it but he won't. lol I try to keep his tank interesting and he gets a lot of attention, what else can discourage him from this behavior?

The Big Guppy my first betta in many years is a tail biter. I keep telling him to stop it but he won't. lol I try to keep his tank interesting and he gets a lot of attention, what else can discourage him from this behavior?
For many bettas and even some other Anabantoids are fin nippers by instinct. Especially male bettas and gouramis. They like to make sure the other fish know who is top dog. You might luck out and he'll just stop...but don't count on it!

It depends. Mine started it when I divided his tank and changed things around. Like his filter. I went from a hang on the back filter (modified) to a sponge filter. Now he's got his hob filter back and he can see all the way around the tank. I tried back grounds cause of reflections different lighting, anything and everything I read about. Nothing worked. I got to thinking, he never did this before. Then took a hard look at my tank and thought about what I have changed from the time he started it. I realized I cut his 10g in half. And he couldn't see everything around him. This is his tank now. It's just like before but it's a 5g. He's happy now. He's very picky.20180329_135300.jpg

Mine loves to swim. Very active. When they don't have the room they want they get board and that's when they start it. Especially long tail bettas.

Mine loves to swim. Very active. When they don't have the room they want they get board and that's when they start it. Especially long tail bettas.
I also do 2-50% water changes back to back every 2-3 days and wipe everything done. Just to help him heal. I only put tetra aquasafe in to condition the water. No salt, no meds. Just dedicated water changes. Which I am finishing up with right now. And I took his filter cartridge and dunked it in the girls filter. Did that yesterday too with Hellboy filter for the girls too. I'll test the girls in a min.

Back
Top Bottom