Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Want more fish for a 30 gal.

I have a 30 gal. tank with 5 tiger barbs and 2 harlequin rasboras in it. I want to put more fish in but don't know what.

I've had cories before and liked them. I've switched from sand to gravel though and heard gravel will irritate them.

Appreciate any suggestions?

2 Harlequin rasboras
4 Tiger barbs
1 Boesmani rainbow
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Gravel is fine with cories as long as it's smooth and doesn't have any sharp parts. I'd say get at least 4 more rasboras for a school and some more tiger barbs. I'm not sure what else you could put in there since tiger barbs are nippers.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
You could consider adding some American-flag fish to your tank. They are pretty well behaved, except when spawning, and the males can get quite colorful when they become adult.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about a few rainbowfish, they are really nice and colorful when they are adults.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I agree with the recommendation for rainbowfish. Boesemani Rainbowfish get very colorful as they get older.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
None of our LFS have the Boesmani Rainbow fish. I've been looking to get a few but can't find them in my area.

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

tiger barbs aren't too bad about harrassing other fish once you get a good sized school. 6+ is best, so maybe bring the barbs up to 8 total. YOu can mix n match tiger barbs too: the normal, the greens and the albino will all school up, and will 'fight' amongst themselves until the pecking order is determined. they don't really fight..just chase and nip a bit until someone wins out and is the top dog.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #8

I agree on upping the school of rasboras and barbs to about 8 each.. it will be much more beautiful. Ever thought of getting something like a redtail or rainbow shark? I love my rainbow shark... oh and your cories will be fine with the gravel. I have a gravel bottom and a school of 6 panda cories, just as long as the gravel is smooth.
I have just put 6 albino tiger barbs in my tank with my angels and they havn't messed with them at all... I am thinking about adding 6 regular tiger barbs to the mix.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went and got a rainbow shark today. They were out of Boesmani rainbowfish at my lfs. I'll definitely get at least 1 more tiger barb too.

My gravel has sharp edges so I don't think I'll be getting any corycats. Thanks again

2 Harlequin rasboras
4 Tiger barbs
1 Boesmani rainbow
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #10

i think you will enjoy the rasboras with i bigger school as well!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:44 AM   #11
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
What about the rasboras?

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com