Want more fish for a 30 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gal. tank with 5 tiger barbs and 2 harlequin rasboras in it. I want to put more fish in but don't know what.

I've had cories before and liked them. I've switched from sand to gravel though and heard gravel will irritate them.

Appreciate any suggestions?

Gravel is fine with cories as long as it's smooth and doesn't have any sharp parts. I'd say get at least 4 more rasboras for a school and some more tiger barbs. I'm not sure what else you could put in there since tiger barbs are nippers. :?

You could consider adding some American-flag fish to your tank. They are pretty well behaved, except when spawning, and the males can get quite colorful when they become adult.

tiger barbs aren't too bad about harrassing other fish once you get a good sized school. 6+ is best, so maybe bring the barbs up to 8 total. YOu can mix n match tiger barbs too: the normal, the greens and the albino will all school up, and will 'fight' amongst themselves until the pecking order is determined. they don't really fight..just chase and nip a bit until someone wins out and is the top dog.

I agree on upping the school of rasboras and barbs to about 8 each.. it will be much more beautiful. Ever thought of getting something like a redtail or rainbow shark? I love my rainbow shark... oh and your cories will be fine with the gravel. I have a gravel bottom and a school of 6 panda cories, just as long as the gravel is smooth.
I have just put 6 albino tiger barbs in my tank with my angels and they havn't messed with them at all... I am thinking about adding 6 regular tiger barbs to the mix.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went and got a rainbow shark today. They were out of Boesmani rainbowfish at my lfs. I'll definitely get at least 1 more tiger barb too.

My gravel has sharp edges so I don't think I'll be getting any corycats. Thanks again :)

i think you will enjoy the rasboras with i bigger school as well!

Back
Top Bottom