Want To Switch My Tank Theme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incogneto21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So at the moment I have a Hawaiian theme tank for the past 2 years and it's getting boring. So I want to switch it's all up. Will this kill my fish? If not please give me a heads up thanks! ^_^

Are you thinking of changing gravel and all? Or just decorations?

I doubt it would harm your fish as long as you change things gradually. If you change everything all at once you might accidentally get rid of a ton if bb in your gravel and on your decorations/etc. it might look kind of weird for a while in transition, but would probably be better for your tank.

I doubt it would harm your fish as long as you change things gradually. If you change everything all at once you might accidentally get rid of a ton if bb in your gravel and on your decorations/etc. it might look kind of weird for a while in transition, but would probably be better for your tank.

So do I switch the gravel first?

That's probably up to you. I would decide which theme's decor would be easier to add gravel with, and chose based off if that... On the other hand, you might want to do the gravel first so you don't have to wait for as much bacteria to build up on the new decor. Just be sure to make changes slowly and watch your water parameters and you should be fine.

I'd change all the gravel and decor all at once unless you have an under gravel filter. Something like 98% of the bacterial population is in your filter and you're also removing all of the hidden gross stuff in the gravel that contributes to production of ammonia. Everyone thinks they do a good job vacuuming the gravel but you might be shocked by how unclean it actually is. I've moved tanks a number of times and have never caused a mini cycle so long as the filter was preserved.

It's a huge job but well worth the trouble when you see the results. Just make sure you have some time and some place to keep the fish for a while. I like ice chests for that. Just put a big, black trash bag in a good sized ice chest and siphon as much tank water in there as you can. Put the fish and any live plants in there too along with a little water conditioner. I close the top of the bag with a bubble and shut the lid to keep it all warm. Depending on your filter type, you may need to put that in plastic too so it stays moist. Drying out is no good at all for bacteria. Then you can go nuts cleaning and changing out your substrate and decor without worry. When it's done, fill the tank halfway with new water and dechlorinate. Install any plants first and then start returning the old tank water. I wait to move the fish until the tank is full and the filter is back on.

Be sure to snap before and after photos!

The amount of brown sludge that was under my 4.5 month old gravel was insane! I couldn't imagine what a 5 year old tank would look like haha. Make sure to save atleast 50-60% of your tank water to put back in after.

The amount of brown sludge that was under my 4.5 month old gravel was insane! I couldn't imagine what a 5 year old tank would look like haha. Make sure to save atleast 50-60% of your tank water to put back in after.

I know what it looks like in a three year old tank. Eeeeeeeeeeew!

If your ice chest doesn't hold enough water, just fill buckets with some. The five gallon pails at any home improvement store would be fine. Your containers don't even need to be new or clean if you line them.

I'd change all the gravel and decor all at once unless you have an under gravel filter. Something like 98% of the bacterial population is in your filter and you're also removing all of the hidden gross stuff in the gravel that contributes to production of ammonia. Everyone thinks they do a good job vacuuming the gravel but you might be shocked by how unclean it actually is. I've moved tanks a number of times and have never caused a mini cycle so long as the filter was preserved.

It's a huge job but well worth the trouble when you see the results. Just make sure you have some time and some place to keep the fish for a while. I like ice chests for that. Just put a big, black trash bag in a good sized ice chest and siphon as much tank water in there as you can. Put the fish and any live plants in there too along with a little water conditioner. I close the top of the bag with a bubble and shut the lid to keep it all warm. Depending on your filter type, you may need to put that in plastic too so it stays moist. Drying out is no good at all for bacteria. Then you can go nuts cleaning and changing out your substrate and decor without worry. When it's done, fill the tank halfway with new water and dechlorinate. Install any plants first and then start returning the old tank water. I wait to move the fish until the tank is full and the filter is back on.

Be sure to snap before and after photos!

I think that's what happened with one of my PWC. Stirred my sand substrate up enough and released ammonia. I want to get rid of the sand but I'm afraid of doing that again.

Back
Top Bottom