want to up my schools but stay withing stocking limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i need some suggestions in regards to what some good target numbers for my schools would be, but being mindful of stocking limitations of my set up.

its a 40g breeder tank, heavily planted with co2, air stone at night
fluval 406 canister filter and AC 30 power head

current stock:
6 swordtails 2m 4f
6 albino corys
5 cherry barbs
5 neon tetras
3 harlequin rasboras
2 kuhli loaches
2 mystery snails
3 GB rams

I KNOW i need to up my schools of rasboras and kuhlis, but i also want to up my cherry barbs and neons

within my tank limits, could i up my schools to a total of
6 kuhlis
10 rasboras
10 neons
10 cherry barbs

........?????? what do you think?

IMO, you are fairly well stocked now. I would up those schools and rehome the Loaches as the Loaches really need a bigger tank. That would still be a bit overstocked IMO and you might want to add a sponge filter onto the power head for a little more bio-umph.

Kuhli loaches are relatively small, they will be fine in a tank this size.
Do you have a test kit to check your water paramters? In this case, I think water paramters will be a good guide for knowing how much more you can stock.
I suggest stocking slowly and seeing what your tank can support. I think more like 8 of each school might be a better expectation though. Start with getting the schools up to 6 and then you can go from there.

I agree with absolute see what your tank can handle add a little at a time.

And a 40g for khulies is perfect you could easily throw 4 more no problem. The have a small bio load and would appreciate the friends.

I think you're going to run into a 'cluttered' look by have so many different species in a tank like that. That, and you're butting up against overstocked. While water parameters is one way to monitor stocking levels, you also need to consider if your fish (or each fish group) will have enough space to be comfortable. You may find that this is not the case with your current plant.

Consider rehoming the swordtails. They have a surprising high bioload for their size, and doing so will 'free up' some space.

The Kuhlis are kind of the odd guys out here too. They would really like their own little group of 6+ or so to be comfortable.

Finally, you might consider only picking a few schooling species and sticking with them rather than trying to stock schools of all of them. You currently have five such species in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom