Wanted: Driftwood and Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is kind of bare looking. Where is a good place to get rocks and driftwood for aquarium use? I am looking for good size peices and interesting shapes. If you have any and you want to get rid of them, let me know.

For rocks, I'd say just go hiking and see if you find some you like. Stay away from limestone and any rocks with metal veins. Also, if you have fish that need acidic water (lower pH) any porous rock will increase your ph. You can test rocks with vinegar and if it fizzes,you know it will alter the pH.

Driftwood is expensive at fish stores, but anywhere else it will either be a type of evergreen or coated. Evergreens have resin that can be toxic for fish, and in general you should stay away from unknown coatings. South African bog wood is very nice, but here it is $7/pound. I lucked out and a guy was downsizing his stuff because he was moving and I got mine for free.

HTH!

Give AquariumDriftwood.com a try. I ordered a standard center piece for a 55g and was very pleased. The prices are very reasonable. Beaware they only ship on Monday and you might have to call a couple of times to place your order. I think they might be a Mom and Pop buisness. Once your order is placed it will be shipped the next Monday. I received my driftwood packaged in a heavy plastic bag inside a cardboard box. The driftwood was wet and sunk right to the bottom of the tank.

Clown Monarch said:
If you're in Illinois, drive to the Dunes in Northwest Indiana. Awesome driftwood and rocks.

I live in southern IL. That is a long jog. I will be able to pick some up when I go to MO for the canoe trip. My area is not rocking at all, hiking would not help.

I will checkout www.aquariumdriftwood.com .

For your rocks, your Africans will really like calciferous rock so if you have a garden center or a rock quarry you can get all kinds of rock for so much cheaper than at the LFS. In your case you don't have to worry about it buffering the water, since you probably could use as much as you can get.

I have a LFS near me that carries gorgeous pieces of swahala wood, that is very dense and heavy and will not float, and contains very little tannins. It has a swirly pattern of dark and light wood, and it is my favorite.

I went to a local LFS that is SW only, and he ordered me a 40-pound box of base rock for $1/pound. I did not think that was too bad. That is what I used in my 44gal ARLC - great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom