WARNING-all betta lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owl307

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a new betta holder for four bettas and you stuck it on suction cups in a bigger tank. Well It fell and now my most prized bettas fins are all ripped to shreds.I dont know if they'll make it. I love them to much to give up on them. Is there anything, ANYTHING i can do so they'll live and their fins will grow back just as beautiful? Even if their fins dont grow back, i still wish for them to live. All except one betta has been damadged but even then he is just too exausted.please help. And warning to all betta lovers.:confused::(:ermm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::bawl::mad:

Sorry about your bettas. :( The fins should grow back on their own. Just keep their water very clean and watch them for signs of infection. Salt baths in aquarium salt might help too but let someone confirm this.

I just bought a new betta holder for four bettas and you stuck it on suction cups in a bigger tank. Well It fell and now my most prized bettas fins are all ripped to shreds.I dont know if they'll make it. I love them to much to give up on them. Is there anything, ANYTHING i can do so they'll live and their fins will grow back just as beautiful? Even if their fins dont grow back, i still wish for them to live. All except one betta has been damadged but even then he is just too exausted.please help. And warning to all betta lovers.:confused::(:ermm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::bawl::mad:

What's your tank temp???? Raising the tank to around 80-82f might help speed up the recovery quite a bit

Awww! I'm so sorry that sounds awful!!! I would really suggest keeping good water qualities, that's what I've done to heal my bettas. Their fins are mostly grown back and so it seems to work well for me:)

I wouldn't bother with salt baths, JMO.

Just keep the water really clean and the fins should grow back on their own. Do extra water changes each week and you should see some fast results.

You could dissolve a small amount of table salt it helps to heal faster and treat wounds, IME it works. But make sure and dissolve it in some tank water before adding it.

Tigroscr said:
You could dissolve a small amount of table salt it helps to heal faster and treat wounds, IME it works. But make sure and dissolve it in some tank water before adding it.

EVERYTHING I have ever read about salt says to NEVER use table salt.

So sorry about your Bettas! I hope they all survive. I have a male and felale in my community tank and they are my favorites!

GuppyLover said:
EVERYTHING I have ever read about salt says to NEVER use table salt.

Well I hate to say this GuppyLover but apparently you haven't read EVERYTHING. I don't want to start a salt debate by any means but IME the salt treatment has worked! I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with salt treatment but I'm just letting the OP know that it is an option for them. It's not a treatment you would want to do all the time but Salt has worked for me in a situation like this several times and seems to heal torn fins faster. The way I've done it in the past is to take a small amount depending on size of tank dissolve it in tank water and add it gradually a little bit every couple hours or so (so fish become acclimated) until it's gone. Plus it helps with the stress of the fish so they don't get a secondary infection from the stress of torn fins. But like I said this is my opinion and experience and that's why I told the OP they COULD try it. :)

im thinking guppy lover was talking about Table salt vs aquarium salt. there is a debate that the iodine in table salt is harmful to fish. aquarium salt doesnt contain iodine.

Well I hate to say this GuppyLover but apparently you haven't read EVERYTHING. I don't want to start a salt debate by any means but IME the salt treatment has worked! I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with salt treatment but I'm just letting the OP know that it is an option for them. It's not a treatment you would want to do all the time but Salt has worked for me in a situation like this several times and seems to heal torn fins faster. The way I've done it in the past is to take a small amount depending on size of tank dissolve it in tank water and add it gradually a little bit every couple hours or so (so fish become acclimated) until it's gone. Plus it helps with the stress of the fish so they don't get a secondary infection from the stress of torn fins. But like I said this is my opinion and experience and that's why I told the OP they COULD try it. :)

I don't disagree with salt treatment at all, if you're treating ich. The evidence for salt healing wounds is dubious at best, and there is no evidence to my knowledge that it reduces stress for the fish. Clean water (extra water changes) is the best way to "treat" injury IME.

Tigroscr said:
I never said I read everything out there like you so rudely implied.

nottooslow said:
im thinking guppy lover was talking about Table salt vs aquarium salt. there is a debate that the iodine in table salt is harmful to fish. aquarium salt doesnt contain iodine.
That is exactly what I meant. Table salt and aquarium salt are two diffrent things and IMO iodine is harmful too fish. Thank you for posting that since I wasnt on to reply.

****Edit****
I agree with SM, clean water is the best cure.

I'm sorry guppy lover if I came across as being rude, that was not my intention at all! But you did say EVERYTHING you ever read about table salt is bad for fish. I agree with SM too that clean water is very important with any type of ailment in fish. But I was just relating my experience with my bettas that I've kept the last 5 years or so and the table salt has worked for me with any type of wounds or torn fins if used correctly. As far as iodide most table salt if you read the ingredients does not contain it. Just was trying to help the OP out because he/ she sounded so desperate!! Is it something I would recommend putting in the tank with every pwc.......,NO. But with my experience with any of my fish table salt works to speed up the healing process in torn fins or wounds, aquarium salt works well for bacterial infections or ich etc Epsom salts works for bloat and constipation. A friend of mine that has a lfs store has even used Epsom salt in his tanks to treat pop eye and said it worked great! He has had a LFS store for 20 years and been very successful and gives me a lot of great advice! But the key once again is based on my experience and his and using it in the proper amount, you definitely don't want to over do any of these types of salt or yes you could have negative results.

Tigroscr said:
I'm sorry guppy lover if I came across as being rude, that was not my intention at all! But you did say EVERYTHING you ever read about table salt is bad for fish. I agree with SM too that clean water is very important with any type of ailment in fish. But I was just relating my experience with my bettas that I've kept the last 5 years or so and the table salt has worked for me with any type of wounds or torn fins if used correctly. As far as iodide most table salt if you read the ingredients does not contain it. Just was trying to help the OP out because he/ she sounded so desperate!! Is it something I would recommend putting in the tank with every pwc.......,NO. But with my experience with any of my fish table salt works to speed up the healing process in torn fins or wounds, aquarium salt works well for bacterial infections or ich etc Epsom salts works for bloat and constipation. A friend of mine that has a lfs store has even used Epsom salt in his tanks to treat pop eye and said it worked great! He has had a LFS store for 20 years and been very successful and gives me a lot of great advice! But the key once again is based on my experience and his and using it in the proper amount, you definitely don't want to over do any of these types of salt or yes you could have negative results.
All of the info I have read says that iodine is harmful too fish but they never say that most TS doesnt have it, but whatever. Its alright, I apologize for being so defensive.

Back
Top Bottom