Wash Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi TechBoy, If you mean wash the filter media in your filter..yes you should. However, only wash (rinse) it out in the water you have taken out of your tank during a water change. The foam, or sponge, in the filter can be washed many times. If you are using carbon it can be re-used only a few times. Carbon should be replaced about once a month. If you wash your filter media in fresh water it will kill all the good bacteria.

I clean the filter media only when it is clogged with debris, and then, as has been posted, with spent tank water. I disagree about the carbon, as I do not use it at all unless I need to remove a medication from my tank. Also, be careful not to clean out your filter at the same time that you do other significant cleaning, as this disrupts the biofilter. I try to clean my filter on days when I have not done a gravel vac for this reason, though that might be more cautious than is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom