Water Brown w/Tannin After Mopani Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyerushalmi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my tank with grapewood and decided to change after it became covered in a white slime. I heard great things about Zoomed Mopani Wood so I purchased one small piece for the tank. I boiled the wood for about 30 minutes and installed. 2 days later I notice a brown tinge in the water. I removed the wood and added activated carbon pellets (in a bag) to the Marineland Penguin 100 filter. It's now a day later and the water seems to be getting worse. From my understanding, the discoloration is a result of the tannins released in the water from the wood. How can I get my water clear again without a water change? Mind you, my tank is still cycling and nitrites are just beginning to bloom. Any help?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love mopani wood, but pieces are usually heavily loaded with tannins. Yours probably needed several boilings. I might try some purigen in place of/in addition to the carbon.

One question: the water grew darker *after* you removed the wood? :confused:

Might just be me being paranoid. Ha! It seemed to be but might not. I've boiled the wood several times over now. Going to wait until the water clears before I install it again.

Not familiar with purigen. More info?

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Purigen is a synthetic replacement for carbon in the aquarium. Really great stuff, and I love the clarity it delivers to my tank. Also, it's reusable. You can read about it here:

Seachem - Purigen

How should I use this with the filter I have?

A Year On...

I'm still getting a slight brown tint from some Florida bog wood I've had in our main tank for over a year. It gets to be a bit less month after month. Water changes clear it right up. I imagine it will be completely gassed out in another year or so. No biggie.

How should I use this with the filter I have?

Purigen is also available in 100 mL fine mesh filter pouches. Just slide it next to the filter cartridge (in your case, closest to the bio wheel).
With or without it, usually the amount of tannins will decrease with each water change. It could take some time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will tannins affect the cycle?

Will tannins affect the cycle?

No. However, I believe that tannins may contain humic acid and that may decrease the pH. Unless it is already in the low 6s to begin with, I would not worry about it.

Okay. Thanks man!

I soaked and boiled my Mopani wood for almost 8 months, then left it in the Phoenix sun for 2 months and soaked it again for 2 weeks before placing in my tank...it still leaches tannin's, but the amount is acceptable and does not tinge the water.

I have removed the wood altogether. Read somewhere online that grapewood is a better alternative?

I have removed the wood altogether. Read somewhere online that grapewood is a better alternative?

Grape Wood is often sold for reptile habitats. I read that after a few years it starts to break down. I would look for manzanita or spider wood instead if you want something branchy.
Oh, the white slime you mentioned in the first post is a common occurrence with new driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom