Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
rudfudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: leicestet
Posts: 85
3 tanks at one time i tank my hat off to you. My recent on i did in a few months and it was hard work even with a smaller tank to seed from i feed the empty and had a second filter running for weeks in the smaller tank to get it cycled. You must have the patience of a saint doing 3 at once lol
__________________

__________________
rudfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Bang on if there is no ammonia no nitrite and nitrate at 20ppm the tank is cycled. Happy days. Which tank is this and which ones still need to cycle?
Ok, this is what I have. Looks like I got excited too quick & now not sure what to do - change it or dnt. I have .50ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once there's nitrate, the tank wld be cycled & due for water change right ? Well I have nitrate but also ammonia. I can do a change now & in a day or so I'm sure ill have ammonia again (as well as nitrate). Do I do a 25 or 50 % on it or leave it alone that will prolly kill all fish. If I have nitrate, it looks like it wld have to be cycled. Idk
__________________

__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Bang on if there is no ammonia no nitrite and nitrate at 20ppm the tank is cycled. Happy days. Which tank is this and which ones still need to cycle?
Oh, this is 40g. Pretty sure 20g isn't cycled either & had it for a cpl mos (fish in), & 75 I haven't really begun besides running some extra filters in the 20 & 40 for it to gain bacteria.
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
rudfudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: leicestet
Posts: 85
Ammonia that will damage your fish unfortunalty. If your fish are really hardy they may survive it. Your tank is cycles when only nitrate is present. Nitrate ia present even straight from the tap. The choice is tough really you need ammonia so its either leave the fish and hope and pray or rehome the fish and feed the tank. Its personal choice from now. People always make mistakes at the start its natural. As long as you learn for next time its ok. If you have ammonia and no nitrites it sounds like your right back to the start of the cycle. What fish do you have in the tank currently
__________________
rudfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
rudfudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: leicestet
Posts: 85
Ive cycled with balloon mollies before and 2 years later they are all good and 2 sets of fry later my next door neighbour loves them. So if very very carful fish can survive
__________________
rudfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Since you are having nitrates at that number your tank cycled or mostly so BUT what I think your ammonia problem is stemming from is the fact you've been grossly overfeeding. AND which tank is having the ammonia? You need to start posting the tank stats like...

10g
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

20g
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

Also post Goldfish or Community behind the 10g or 20g. It's hard to understand what tank is doing what otherwise. So for example if the tank having the ammonia problem happens to be the GF tank well GF produce ammonia, a lot of it, into the water. Add that to repeat overfeeding and that could be the problem. Are you following here? So get all the stats posted for each tank and then be very specific about which tank is having ammonia or other problems. This all needs to be separated out before going any further or offering any advice IMO.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Ammonia that will damage your fish unfortunalty. If your fish are really hardy they may survive it. Your tank is cycles when only nitrate is present. Nitrate ia present even straight from the tap. The choice is tough really you need ammonia so its either leave the fish and hope and pray or rehome the fish and feed the tank. Its personal choice from now. People always make mistakes at the start its natural. As long as you learn for next time its ok. If you have ammonia and no nitrites it sounds like your right back to the start of the cycle. What fish do you have in the tank currently
2 yrs later ? No, I can't do that will all these tanks for 2 yrs its driving me insane & a full time job. It's all I do is check levels & change water. I've had several die, but currently have 3 neon tetras, 2 cory cats, 1 Mickey Mouse plattie (?) a pleco & a bala shark. They've all been in this tank for the past cpl months. Some seem to do great while I'm having a few issues ( lost 2 clown loach's recently, a pink neon tetra, an Id shark, one other I believe (danio) So I can't seem to keep some & others do ok. So if ammonia is .50, 0 nitrites & .20 nitrate then it's never been cycled & I'm at the beginning after 2 mos of this ?
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
rudfudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: leicestet
Posts: 85
Well yeah its possible its never cycled depending on cleaning the filters or changing the filters. Continual water changes slow the cycle. Like previous poster said it could be a total overload of food or waste. If you have continued problems with ammonia i would really consider re homing and starting fresh. If you havent tested from tge start it makes the current results a bit of guess work
__________________
rudfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Since you are having nitrates at that number your tank cycled or mostly so BUT what I think your ammonia problem is stemming from is the fact you've been grossly overfeeding. AND which tank is having the ammonia? You need to start posting the tank stats like...

10g
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

20g
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

Also post Goldfish or Community behind the 10g or 20g. It's hard to understand what tank is doing what otherwise. So for example if the tank having the ammonia problem happens to be the GF tank well GF produce ammonia, a lot of it, into the water. Add that to repeat overfeeding and that could be the problem. Are you following here? So get all the stats posted for each tank and then be very specific about which tank is having ammonia or other problems. This all needs to be separated out before going any further or offering any advice IMO.
Yeah I got you. Sure that would help alot. Ph I can't really post because ph & high range are always off the charts. Not even a # for them. Always very high. I got some correct ph fizz tabs I was going to use but wasnt sure on to do a water change now with ammonia being .50 in 40 gallon freshwater tropical (community) or to follow the advice that its not cycled or back at the beginning. Let the levels continue to rise & kill the fish or what. I know I've been a pain guys (gals) & must sound retarded but 2 months into this, this is just A LOT of info, it's complicating & the harder I try to do it right, the more I crash things. I'm absolutely overwhelmed & have no idea what to do at this point. But again, thank everyone for all their help & patience. Even though I still dnt understand a lot or know what to do , I've learned a lot & have helped others here understand things I don't. Will work on the readings though. So now idk if the 40 is cycled or not. Earlier post suggested no & I'm back at start one & dnt change water to rehome fish, and now it looks like I may be cycled & just over feeding. I'm working on the feedings, only fed once today & that's it. So should I do a 50% wc now. Guess it wld just really help to know if the things been cycled or not
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Hoping I made the best move. I had to take bits & pieces of info & take what I cld from all & try to make the best decision. Done a 50% wc on 40g fw to get .50 ammonia back down. With nitrites @ 0 & nitrates @ 20 I'm hoping the cycle is done & it's a matter of over feeding which is stopping now. If this works, I'm hoping I finally have it under control & may not have to lose the fish or start over. Re-filling now. Gonna test again tonight & again tomorrow so where were at.
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
More help 😞 ugh. I done a reading on 40 gal freshwater tropical . Readings were .50 ammonia, 0 nitrites & .20 nitrate. So I'm thinking tank is cycle & have just been over feeding because nitrite is 0 & nitrates are present. Just checked pure tap water nitrate & sure enough - .20 nitrate present. So idk how to read the tanks now & when I thought it was finally cycled after all this, now someone suggested its not, & just started over 😡. I can't take much more. I'm at wits end here. This is ridiculous. A fish has to be easier than potty training a dog. I just dnt get it
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Don't start over and start making your own decisions. Listen to what people offer as help BUT trust your judgement. The post before this last one sounded good and then you question yourself. Everyone has an opinion or advice but it doesn't mean everyone is right. Treat the tank as cycled BUT watch your ammonia. Cut you feeding way down and see if your ammonia changes. Give it a week or two, get off the computer, and go have a beer or something to relax and call it a night as far as the tank is concerned.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Don't start over and start making your own decisions. Listen to what people offer as help BUT trust your judgement. The post before this last one sounded good and then you question yourself. Everyone has an opinion or advice but it doesn't mean everyone is right. Treat the tank as cycled BUT watch your ammonia. Cut you feeding way down and see if your ammonia changes. Give it a week or two, get off the computer, and go have a beer or something to relax and call it a night as far as the tank is concerned.
Lmao thanks man. Snds good to me & best advice I've gotten yet. Done deal
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Say thanks lady! Been in this hobby and keeping tanks since the 70's and I know when it's time to have a drink and call it a day!
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Say thanks lady! Been in this hobby and keeping tanks since the 70's and I know when it's time to have a drink and call it a day!
Oooo lol. So sorry. Thank you - ma'am. Lol
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
That's better... lol! Have a drink for me too!
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,142
Did you ever test the tap water like I asked? It needs to be done to rule out any problems.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Did you ever test the tap water like I asked? It needs to be done to rule out any problems.
Yes I have. I took a much needed break & feel like I'm getting a grip on it finally. My tap contains 0 amm, 0 nitrite, ph is high & nitrates are 30 ppm.
__________________
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Yes I have. I took a much needed break & feel like I'm getting a grip on it finally. My tap contains 0 amm, 0 nitrite, ph is high & nitrates are 30 ppm.
Wowza those are high nitrates. You should retest after a week, as the 'trates can vary with how much rain you've had.
__________________

__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.