Water care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your 40 isnt cycled then using the filter for the 75 in that tank might not be the best idea. Do u have any fish in the 75 atm? Whats your water parameters on the 40?

Is it possible that you are overfeeding? I did that with my first aquarium, and had lots of problems. I now feed 3-4 times a week and everyone seems happy.

As far as the mineral deposits on the glass; that's hard water (we have that issue here in San Diego, too). I have started to use half RO water in my water changes. The problem is that those minerals actually etch the glass if you don't get them off. Try using a scraper and then a plastic scrubby and white vinegar to remove it. Good luck!

Is it possible that you are overfeeding? I did that with my first aquarium, and had lots of problems. I now feed 3-4 times a week and everyone seems happy.

As far as the mineral deposits on the glass; that's hard water (we have that issue here in San Diego, too). I have started to use half RO water in my water changes. The problem is that those minerals actually etch the glass if you don't get them off. Try using a scraper and then a plastic scrubby and white vinegar to remove it. Good luck!

Ok thanks. I've been suggested a razor blade. I know chemicals will hurt the fish, afraid a razor blade would scratch it to pieces. It's so bad, I just set up the 75g yesterday & it's already building up on the top glass. It's ridiculous. I'd have to clean it every few days. As far as feeding, i dnt think so but I guess anything a possible. The food says 2-3 x's a day ( 3 if they're juveniles & all mine are I believe) but I still only feed 2x's a day. In the 40g I have a variety that all seem to want different things so yes I have to add a tad of this & tad of that to make sure everyone eats. Still trying to figure the diets out but I know some eat things others refuse to. I don't feed all this a time lol, I space it out on given days but still have to have a small combo it seems, but I have tropical flakes, algae wafers, brine shrimp, bloodworms,river shrimp (sun dried krill) & tubifex worms lol.

I'm coming in late here but I did read through the thread. Honestly with as overwhelmed as you are you need to stop working on the new tank and solely concentrate on the other two tanks that have fish. The new tank can sit and run with a filter for now. I know you have the bug of multiple tank syndrome but you need to get a good understanding of how the tank cycles and works by perfecting it on the smaller tanks. Then move onto the new larger tank.

The reason your losing fish is because of the tanks not being cycled. And do correct me if I'm wrong about those two tanks not being cycled. Many fish just aren't hardy enough to withstand the cycling process. I also think I read on one of your threads that you have an ich problem to boot?

Something else, you can save so much money for supplies and gas if you start shopping online. Equipment is normally a lot cheaper and if you shop around you can often find free shipping.

Also when it comes to feeding... you don't need to satisfy every fish at every meal. Feed once a day and vary your daily feedings. Say flakes one day, tubifex worms one day, and so on. Algae wafers can be used as a supplement not as an only daily meal. Fish will eat when they are hungry. Fish don't even need to eat daily so don't worry they will be fine.

I'm coming in late here but I did read through the thread. Honestly with as overwhelmed as you are you need to stop working on the new tank and solely concentrate on the other two tanks that have fish. The new tank can sit and run with a filter for now. I know you have the bug of multiple tank syndrome but you need to get a good understanding of how the tank cycles and works by perfecting it on the smaller tanks. Then move onto the new larger tank.

The reason your losing fish is because of the tanks not being cycled. And do correct me if I'm wrong about those two tanks not being cycled. Many fish just aren't hardy enough to withstand the cycling process. I also think I read on one of your threads that you have an ich problem to boot?

Something else, you can save so much money for supplies and gas if you start shopping online. Equipment is normally a lot cheaper and if you shop around you can often find free shipping.

Also when it comes to feeding... you don't need to satisfy every fish at every meal. Feed once a day and vary your daily feedings. Say flakes one day, tubifex worms one day, and so on. Algae wafers can be used as a supplement not as an only daily meal. Fish will eat when they are hungry. Fish don't even need to eat daily so don't worry they will be fine.

Ok, I wasn't aware of this either. They all seem to starving during their 2 day feedings so I drop a couple shrimp pellets in for the cory because they dnt seem to go to the top to eat. ( do this daily on both feedings) drop an algae wafer or 1/2) for pleco if there's nothing left of the previous one. Bala, neon tetras & Plattie (?) all seem to the like the bloodworms & flakes. The tubifex are new & still seeing who will eat them. The sun dried krill ( river shrimp) pretty sure nobody will eat them. So yeah, say mornings, I drop in a cpl shrimp pellets, flakes. Night I do a cpl pellets & bloodworms. Next day will be tubifex & pellets morning & pellets & brine or something evening. I just know some will NOT eat certain things & Cory's can't be starved but won't go to the top to eat. Pleco has his algae. But I see what ur saying & I will re-read & see what I can do better on this to improve it.

Wafers as supplement ? I just use wafers for pleco. He doesn't seem to eat anything else besides the glass lol. I dnt know what else to feed him. He dnt eat with everyone else. I've tried a cucumber blanched & maybe it didn't turn out( Cldnt get it to stay on bottom) but I dnt know what else to feed him as a daily meal if he won't eat with the others. Same with Cory's

Feed only once a day period. Pick a food and feed that and add a shrimp pellet for the corys. If the algae wafers are only for the pleco then feed one every other day "at night" after the lights are off. Pleco's mainly eat at night. You don't need to feed him daily either.

Feeding is the least of your issues right now. You need to concentrate on getting the two smaller tanks cycled. I've been in this hobby since the 70's and you've got too much on your plate with the two small tanks. I'm sure you don't want to hear to leave the 75 alone since you have it now but that is the best thing you could do for yourself and the other tanks with fish.

Feed only once a day period. Pick a food and feed that and add a shrimp pellet for the corys. If the algae wafers are only for the pleco then feed one every other day "at night" after the lights are off. Pleco's mainly eat at night. You don't need to feed him daily either.

Feeding is the least of your issues right now. You need to concentrate on getting the two smaller tanks cycled. I've been in this hobby since the 70's and you've got too much on your plate with the two small tanks. I'm sure you don't want to hear to leave the 75 alone since you have it now but that is the best thing you could do for yourself and the other tanks with fish.

I appreciate the honesty & help. Still not sure what plecos main diet would consist of though if the wafer is a supplement. I'll definitely drop down on the feedings but what about the 2 smaller goldfish ( fancy & black Moore ), same way ? I just have gf flakes & gf pellets for them. I been doing flakes in morning & pellets at night & they seem to always be starving ( ecs fancy).

Fish are the worlds best beggers. Just because they beg for food doesn't mean they need it. Goldfish actually don't have stomachs so they actually do better with a couple SMALL feedings a day. They also do better with at least one meal a week of pea's only.

You cook a few frozen peas, let them sit and cool, then pop the outer shell off them, and feed to the GF. This helps keep them from being constipated which can be a problem with fancy goldies.

Algae tablets wouldn't be a supplement for Pleco's but part of their main diet. Some people use them for other fish in which they would then be a supplement. You need to get a couple cheap little veggie clips so you can attach zucchini strips to the tank glass at night. I cut 1/4" or slightly thicker strips of zucchini, microwave them for 10 seconds, then put them immediately under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Put them on the veggie clips and hang in the tank. It may take a few tries to get the pleco used to coming and eating them but it is very good for them. I feed this every other day.

Fish are the worlds best beggers. Just because they beg for food doesn't mean they need it. Goldfish actually don't have stomachs so they actually do better with a couple SMALL feedings a day. They also do better with at least one meal a week of pea's only.

You cook a few frozen peas, let them sit and cool, then pop the outer shell off them, and feed to the GF. This helps keep them from being constipated which can be a problem with fancy goldies.

Algae tablets wouldn't be a supplement for Pleco's but part of their main diet. Some people use them for other fish in which they would then be a supplement. You need to get a couple cheap little veggie clips so you can attach zucchini strips to the tank glass at night. I cut 1/4" or slightly thicker strips of zucchini, microwave them for 10 seconds, then put them immediately under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Put them on the veggie clips and hang in the tank. It may take a few tries to get the pleco used to coming and eating them but it is very good for them. I feed this every other day.

Where would I find them veggie clips , a pet store ? Dnt think I've ever seen them ( or just haven't looked lol)

You can weigh the veggie down by rubber-banding it to a stone until you get your clips. I got mine online because I thought $8 for a plastic clip at the lfs was insane!

You can weigh the veggie down by rubber-banding it to a stone until you get your clips. I got mine online because I thought $8 for a plastic clip at the lfs was insane!

Wow. Yeah snds like I'll be looking for more online. Besides I only have 2 pet stores with fish & accessories in the area. One's45 min away. The other is 45 min the opposite direction & I've been having to make daily trips

speed, Thanks you for starting this thread, I started y 1st tank 2+ years ago I I still learned things from this thread.

Also remember that no matter how dumb you feel you beat most of the population because you are smart enough to ask for help.

My 1st tank was planted and I went thru several fish but I still kept most of them live until just recently, I just got too busy with College and neglected my tanks, Shame on me.

I also used a bacteria starter to help cycle them that made a big difference. At least I feel like it did.

Also I know that someone recommended Prime as your dechlorinator. I will go further and recommend a set of "Good" quality foods too. I used the cheap brands of food and had the cloudy water issues and sick fish all the time, switched to Omega one veggie tabs and color flakes and Spectrum mini pellets with garlic and I saw a major improvement in my fishes. the cheapie veggie tabs would sit in the tank and mold in 24-36 hours, but the Omega One's never mold, never last that long anyway.

as for water changes I would recommend a faucet powered water changer too, especially on the 75. you just connect it to the sink turn on the cold cold and it will siphon water out of the tank down to what ever level you need, the adjust the temp to match you tank, and Prime, and flip the lever on the changer; and it will quickly fill it. it you want to save on water, only use the changer to fill, then at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool they sell small 120 volt utility pumps, connect the "out" end to garden hose out the window or door and on the intake side you can buy a female garden hose end, that you can attach to your gravel vacuum hose and just use that to drain the tank, and/or water the garden, plus it is pretty good fertilizer for the garden/yard too.

Look online for veggie clips. As I said in my 1st post you will save a ton of money buying equipment and most supplies on line and your saving even more as your not using gas. Most of the time if you shop around you can find free shipping deals. Retail as you've found out is very expensive.

speed, Thanks you for starting this thread, I started y 1st tank 2+ years ago I I still learned things from this thread.

Also remember that no matter how dumb you feel you beat most of the population because you are smart enough to ask for help.

My 1st tank was planted and I went thru several fish but I still kept most of them live until just recently, I just got too busy with College and neglected my tanks, Shame on me.

I also used a bacteria starter to help cycle them that made a big difference. At least I feel like it did.

Also I know that someone recommended Prime as your dechlorinator. I will go further and recommend a set of "Good" quality foods too. I used the cheap brands of food and had the cloudy water issues and sick fish all the time, switched to Omega one veggie tabs and color flakes and Spectrum mini pellets with garlic and I saw a major improvement in my fishes. the cheapie veggie tabs would sit in the tank and mold in 24-36 hours, but the Omega One's never mold, never last that long anyway.

as for water changes I would recommend a faucet powered water changer too, especially on the 75. you just connect it to the sink turn on the cold cold and it will siphon water out of the tank down to what ever level you need, the adjust the temp to match you tank, and Prime, and flip the lever on the changer; and it will quickly fill it. it you want to save on water, only use the changer to fill, then at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool they sell small 120 volt utility pumps, connect the "out" end to garden hose out the window or door and on the intake side you can buy a female garden hose end, that you can attach to your gravel vacuum hose and just use that to drain the tank, and/or water the garden, plus it is pretty good fertilizer for the garden/yard too.

No thank you Black. Good ppl like yourself has helped this thread to become what it has & for others to have learned a thing along the way. I do have one of the faucet pumps. It's quite nice to fill the tanks, but I find it a pain to drain the water with it. I can't seem to get the siphon started to get a drain even after watching videos. So I bought a second one that doesn't connect to sink but has a big siphon ball in it that makes it very easy. I dnt pay the water bill landlord does lol ( but were not spossed to have pets either) so dnt know how well this wld go over. Not like a have a beta bowl on the table, I have 3 fish tanks, some pretty dern big @ 900+ lbs lol. I started with fake plants & decided to to do a natural looking live plants. Bought some Lilly's & something else from walmart that are spossed to be ez to grow. They all seem to be duds lol. Been in there for 2-3 wks now & nothing. From what I've read they can be very nice looking, natural environments, but hard to maintain & another added headache to the tanks so we'll see. May go to back to fakes. Thanks for the advice/support.

So I have 2 tanks, neither established or cycled from what I understand. Both have fish in them. In trying to get through this stupid cycling mess. I'm being told to test daily or multiple times per day & if ammonia or nitrite is above 0, do a water change (& it usually is above 0 so I'm constantly changing). Now I'm being told not to change, to let it finish cycling which would kind of makes sense too so I'm completely dumbfounded once again. I know ammonia & nitrite is toxic & will kill the fish so change my water, but if it has to cycle, I need to let ammonia build up turn into nitrites & nitrates so I can do a change or am I wrong ? I'm constantly changing because I have some ammonia or nitrite so is it actually cycling ? Ph & high range are off the charts as usual, can't read them on the chart. Nitrate is 20 ppm which is good. Still testing, just dnt know when to change water now or if this dern tank will ever cycle. So flustered. Once I think I got it, I'm wrong & clueless again. All help & clear understandings are much appreciated. ( anyone wanna buy 3 fish tanks ? Lol Jk)

Your right you are going through the cycle. The best option would be re homing your fish and doing a fishless cycle. People are saying change water to reduce stress on the fish. During the cycle you would normally avoid changing water until only nitrates are present as they really only reduce through water change. You are right though that changing water often will make the cycle take a long time

Your right you are going through the cycle. The best option would be re homing your fish and doing a fishless cycle. People are saying change water to reduce stress on the fish. During the cycle you would normally avoid changing water until only nitrates are present as they really only reduce through water change. You are right though that changing water often will make the cycle take a long time

Yes it's seeming to take forever ( testing daily with constant water changes) & multiple tanks so I've gotten in way over my head, ecs for not having a clue what I'm doing. Only thing left to test is ammonia. Nitrates at 20 ppm (good), nitrites 0 (good), ph's extremely high (off the charts). So if I test ammonia now & there's any presence do I change it or let it be since nitrates are present @ the time ? Maybe the tank is cycled now, idk.

Bang on if there is no ammonia no nitrite and nitrate at 20ppm the tank is cycled. Happy days. Which tank is this and which ones still need to cycle?

Back
Top Bottom