Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone I have a question for the long term...are you suppose to do a complete or at least a major water change at least once a year?

Don't quote me on this but.... I don't think so because the fish need water that they have been living in because it has their slime and stuff. That is why they say only do a 25% water change each time you change the water. Plus a complete water change would put them in shock because their is a good chance you won't be able to put water that is the same temperature back in sending the fish into shock.

All of that made total sense thank you...I had a feeling you weren't suppose to but it never hurts to double check

I would say generally most people on here change around 50% of their water a week. Those with heavily stocked tanks, messy fish, breeding or fry, change a lot more water/more frequent basis. My water is stable enough that I do 75% to 100% water changes atleast 1-2x week or more frequently depending on the situation. Serious fancy goldfish breeders change 40-100% of their water daily.

Listen to JLK you will get excellent advice...and I do a 50% water change once a week. It's a myth that doing water changes will hurt your fish, it is good for them as long as you match the temp and use a good water conditioner such as Prime.

Have a good thermometer in the tank, as your filling it back up keep an eye on the temp and adjust it if need be

Yeah as of now I'm doing probably two 25% water changes a week...not sure if that is too much or not

abrinn23 said:
Yeah as of now I'm doing probably two 25% water changes a week...not sure if that is too much or not

It really depends on your readings you get from testing. And on your load from your fish. I do 75% every week. The fish use up all the buffers in the water and they need to be replaced every week.

Back
Top Bottom