water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I've been having trouble doing waterchange sometimes cause I can't get the temperature close to my tanks temp without having to wait for an hour to let it cool down.
I usually get my tap water at 84 degrees. I want it to be 78 or below.
What's another way I could get colder water without having to wait for an hour?
Could I possibly use distilled water?

Does the tap water cool down after it runs for a while? Some of mine have been like that, the water in the pipes would be hot until it ran a few minutes. I don't know if I'd use distilled unless you plan to add buffers to it. If it's a persistent problem and this is a small tank then just fill up some 5g's with water and let them sit till next time. They sell plastic 55g drums here for 20 bucks, I plan to use them in a continuous drip system.

Water in the Fridge

I refrigerate my water for a while, I have a very understanding hubby. I chill gallons of water in water jugs marked for tank use in the fridge, then mix the water out of the tap to get as close to temp, then add conditioner to suit. Mix in a bucket if you like. I figured this out because I can only get cold water at night for some reason. like 11pm at night late.

Jetta- I have done that and closest I've got to was 82 degrees. That's me running it for a good 15 mins. Would it be ok to freeze the water? Like she is saying?
Cause I have no room for a big 55g container haha

Oceangirl said:
I refrigerate my water for a while, I have a very understanding hubby. I chill gallons of water in water jugs marked for tank use in the fridge, then mix the water out of the tap to get as close to temp, then add conditioner to suit. Mix in a bucket if you like. I figured this out because I can only get cold water at night for some reason. like 11pm at night late.

Sounds like a great idea! I can have 3 1g jugs and have that mix with my tap. Since I only do 25% water change lol

:)

Yikes, I meant the non freezer side, ya know where you keep your milk?:facepalm:
I put 3 one gallon jugs in the fridge side, then add them to the non-fridged ones on the counter. If you freeze the water how would you de-chlorinate it? I guess before you freeze it, but freezing a gallon of water takes more energy= more time. I suggest the fridge non freezer side for 45 mins, make sure to start chilling before your water change. not like I did before I came up the idea right in the middle of it:lol:

Oh ok that sounds good but we have a water dispenser and it gives off distilled water and I was wondering why I need to use a buffer?
I will be mixing it up with my tap water which naturally has a ph of 7.5

You might be ok without buffering but it just depends on the hardness of the tap. Reducing it by 25% might not do much but definitely something to keep an eye on.

What temp does your tank run and what's the room temp? I'm not sure if I understand the need for refrigerating the water first?

Last edited:
I run my tank at about 79 degrees. and I was told that if I do water changes that's 2 degrees colder it makes my rcs breed.
I couldn't remember why but still I have a hard time getting my water even close to 82.

So the problem is I don't want to have to wait an hour or so to make it go down haha

rcs will breed as long as they are healthy, I wouldn't mess with the water temp to try to instigate anything. I've done the lower water temp to trigger cory breeding before but have never heard of it for rcs, they breed right after a saddled female molts.

rcs will breed as long as they are healthy, I wouldn't mess with the water temp to try to instigate anything. I've done the lower water temp to trigger cory breeding before but have never heard of it for rcs, they breed right after a saddled female molts.

oh okay. i just read that of off a site.
also today one of my RCS died again so idk what the deal is >.<

jetajockey said:

Agreed. My 5.5g RCS tank is at like 85 and they are still reproducing (at least to my knowledge). They just stay at that temp because I'm in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom