Water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! As you might know, I am taking my 3 balloon mollies back to the pet store because I am over stocked. Should I change the water before I get my new fish? It has only been 3 days since I got them.

Thank You! :thanks:

There shouldn't be any reason to have to change the water if you've only had 3 fish in a new tank for 3 days.

There shouldn't be any reason to have to change the water if you've only had 3 fish in a new tank for 3 days.

I know, but mollies are like living dump trucks, and if I put new fish in, will it effect them? Also, I meant new fish as replacements for the mollies and I have had the mollies for 3 days. (I should have been more clear).

It will be okay but if it makes you feel better then do a 50% WC. What you don't want to do is add new fish and then do a WC right away. That puts too much stress and change on fish that are newly added.

It will be okay but if it makes you feel better then do a 50% WC. What you don't want to do is add new fish and then do a WC right away. That puts too much stress and change on fish that are newly added.

Okay thanks! One more question: since the mollies have been in there for 3 days, and I plan to change the water weekly, should I change the water in a week, or in 4 days once I get my fish?

Your Mollies

Hello! As you might know, I am taking my 3 balloon mollies back to the pet store because I am over stocked. Should I change the water before I get my new fish? It has only been 3 days since I got them.

Thank You! :thanks:

Hello Plat...

Please refresh my memory. Why are we returning the fish? Is the tank way too small? The reason being: large frequent water changes will make up for tank conditions that may be a little bit crowded. Granted Mollies are the most particular of the "livebearers" about their water conditions. But, Mollies are nice fish and make for a nice "community" tank.

Just a little curious,

B

Hello Plat...

Please refresh my memory. Why are we returning the fish? Is the tank way too small? The reason being: large frequent water changes will make up for tank conditions that may be a little bit crowded. Granted Mollies are the most particular of the "livebearers" about their water conditions. But, Mollies are nice fish and make for a nice "community" tank.

Just a little curious,

B

Hi! I have heard from a lot of people that balloon mollies need/prefer 20-30 gallons, and I only have a 10 gallon. I really love my mollies, but I'd rather have different fish that will be happy in a tank of my size. Maybe platies are a better choice? Also, do you know anything about variatus platies? Can I put a few in a 10 gallon?

Hi! I have heard from a lot of people that balloon mollies need/prefer 20-30 gallons, and I only have a 10 gallon. I really love my mollies, but I'd rather have different fish that will be happy in a tank of my size. Maybe platies are a better choice? Also, do you know anything about variatus platies? Can I put a few in a 10 gallon?

Platies aren't a great choice for a 10g IMO either as they also have a high bio-load. If you want live bearers then Guppies or Endlers are a good choice. Otherwise you have other options for small fish and or shrimp that would be a good choice.

As for the WC if you are trying to keep a certain day weekly schedule then just stick to it as long as your not doing a WC the day of or after adding new fish.

Small Aquarium Fish

Hello again Plat...

I never felt I could keep the tank water clean in such a small tank. I've heard you can keep Tetras, White Clouds and Danios in small tanks, but frequent water changes would seem to me to be a must to keep the water chemistry stable. Somewhat larger fish like Mollies and Platys would be best kept in a minimum of 30 gallons.

B

Back
Top Bottom