water change help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I'm about to take out 30% of the water in my tank. To put back the water, i run a hose from my facet to my tank. The problem is my water is tap and has chlorine in it. Can i pour the amount of dechlorinator in the tank then fill it up? Also this tank has no fish in it yet..it is in the 3rd week of a fishless cycle.

Without fish in it you can add it during or after. I would suggest during. What type of fish are u looking at getting?

I'm a bit extreme when it comes to this. I like to dechlorinate the water before it gets added to the tank. Even if the tank has no fish in it, it still has beneficial bacteria. In a newly set up tank, especially one that is still cycling, I wouldn't want to risk harming the bacteria. I realize diluted chlorine will probably not affect the BB in such a short time, but that's just me.

David

I'm a bit extreme when it comes to this. I like to dechlorinate the water before it gets added to the tank. Even if the tank has no fish in it, it still has beneficial bacteria. In a newly set up tank, especially one that is still cycling, I wouldn't want to risk harming the bacteria. I realize diluted chlorine will probably not affect the BB in such a short time, but that's just me.

David

Yea that was my main concern, and the reason in asking this question..didn't want to have to start back over on cycling again.

If you dose enough dechlorinator for the whole tank volume and swish it around, I think it's safe. That's how most people do it with a python or other water changer. Plus, your filter isn't running while you do the water change.

If you dose enough dechlorinator for the whole tank volume and swish it around, I think it's safe. That's how most people do it with a python or other water changer. Plus, your filter isn't running while you do the water change.

Ok, so once i vacuum out the amount of water i want, I'll pour the amount of dechlorinator it recommends in the tank before filling it back up..because yes the pump will be off..their for not circulating through my filter to kill BB..correct?

Yes, the amount to treat the whole tank, not just what you are replacing. Some folks even dose more after they fill up the tank. You can wait a few minutes before turning your filter back on.

Yes, the amount to treat the whole tank, not just what you are replacing. Some folks even dose more after they fill up the tank. You can wait a few minutes before turning your filter back on.

Awesome..thanks

Back
Top Bottom