Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it a problem if my tap ph is 6.4 and my tank is 7.4? If I do a 50% water change my pb would now be 6.9. Is that to much of a dip in the ph in a 20 minute span?

I would do smaller, more frequent water changes rather than one big water change. Have you tested your tap water after it has sat out for 24hrs?

I read somewhere that when setting up a tank initially you should check your tapwater ph (assuming this is the water you will use for the aquarium) and then plan to stock with fish suited to that ph, instead of vice versa. Obviously this advice wont help now, but you can buy ph up or ph down to adjust your water before adding to the aquarium, and i seem to remember also reading that for each point change on the ph scale is a tenfold difference so what you are suggesting is a 5X10 fold difference. Some fish are quite resilient but others are sensitive to rapid ph fluctuations.
Would be interesting to follow your progress though.

I read somewhere that when setting up a tank initially you should check your tapwater ph (assuming this is the water you will use for the aquarium) and then plan to stock with fish suited to that ph, instead of vice versa. Obviously this advice wont help now, but you can buy ph up or ph down to adjust your water before adding to the aquarium, and i seem to remember also reading that for each point change on the ph scale is a tenfold difference so what you are suggesting is a 5X10 fold difference. Some fish are quite resilient but others are sensitive to rapid ph fluctuations.
Would be interesting to follow your progress though.

It is much more important that fish get a 'constant' pH level than a level that is recommended for them. Granted there are exceptions to the rule, but putting chemicals in the tank to try to nail an exact pH level causes more stress to the fish then just having a consistent level that is high/low. As long as your not lower than 6 or higher than 8 you should be fine.

I agree that more frequent and smaller water changes is better than one larger one to help minimize the swings, but don't bother with chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom