Water change to existing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been using a 5 g bucket to do water changes. I've ordered a Python hose kit and am wondering at what point to add the chlorine remover when I do water changes. I thought the chemicals that remove chlorine worked immediately so if the chemical is added before the water the chlorine won't be removed. So the pretty much means I add the chlorine remover after filling the tank. Does that sound right?

Tom

I add mine immediately after adding new water, like you said. However much you use, put the drops in sort of all over the place in the tank, and mix it around a bit. Never lost a fish this way, or see any chlorine bubbles on the fish. Maybe see a few bubbles on the glass, but not much.

Be careful learning to use a python, best to have 2 people the first couple time you use it, 1 at tank, 1 at faucet, just to keep an eye on every thing, especially if you have some distance to cover, or cant see faucet from tank. My python always leaks at the faucet, puts out a sideways spray that would soak the wall/rug. I solve this by draping a washcloth or paper towel over the faucet and assmbley. It catches the spray and drips it in the sink, so i have limited mess. A bit of trouble, but it beats buckets by a mile!

I solve this by draping a washcloth or paper towel over the faucet and assmbley.

That's a great way to resolve the issue. Sounds like you might need another rubber seal somewhere. I'm thinking about getting a shutoff valve for the tank end to reduce messes.

Ya know.. I could always add the chlorine drops while the water is being pumped in. DOH!

Ya know.. I could always add the chlorine drops while the water is being pumped in. DOH!

Sometimes I do that too, but other times i forget to get to have it handy, so i have to wait, cuz I like to hold the hose while its filling to avoid disasters.

Sounds like you might need another rubber seal somewhere.

The piece they include to screw into the faucet is made of plastic, if you overtighten it, it gets stuck, and very hard to remove without pliers. If you use pliers on it, you are bound to ruin the threads. Because of this, I just finger tighten the connector, which is bound to leave a leak. Therefore, the washcloth resolution.

One of these days I should get brass parts to replace the plastic connectors. I'm pretty sure you can get them at a plumbing place, but I haven't bothered to try. :oops:

One of these days I should get brass parts to replace the plastic connectors. I'm pretty sure you can get them at a plumbing place, but I haven't bothered to try.

I bet Lowes or Home Depot would even have the parts.

Back
Top Bottom