Water changer or buckets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which would be better for a 30 gallon? We currently use a vac and 5g buckets to do water changes. I always fill the buckets back up and prime them before putting back into tank. Ive never poured tap water without prime into a tank, I didnt think you were supposed to. So it is ok to use water changes and then treat the whole tank with prime after?
If so, whats the best brand water changer?

I use a Aqueon water changer on my tanks.On my 55 I change 20 gallons 2 or 3 times a week and never add anything.Just pure louisville water company tap.Fish,Shrimp and plants are thriving.

If you want you can add the prime to the tank before you add the water - not after! Mixed opinions over whether you dose for the whole tank or just the amount you'll be putting in so its up to your judgement. I dose the whole tank so I don't have to faff about dosing each individual bucket. Hope that helps!

I asked this same question awhile back about my 29 gallon. I love love love my water changer!! I remove my water/ vacuum the gravel and then dose the tank with tap water conditioner before I start refilling. Makes life so much easier!

Water changer FTW(for the win) I LOVE it. Hook it up to the faucet, turn it on and BAM!! Goodbye water. When I'm ready add Prime and BAM filler up!! BAM... BAM... Done....

:)

Wait a minute. Some of you are putting straight tap water into your tanks before adding conditioner or not adding it at all? That's madness. I vacuum out 2 13 gallon trash cans worth and drag it to the bathtub and dump it. Then I refil by pouring 4 half trash cans of conditioned water back into the tank. It's a pain but I'm certainly not going to put untreated tap in my tank. Nor am I going to make 9 trips with my 3 gallon bucket.

Wait a minute. Some of you are putting straight tap water into your tanks before adding conditioner or not adding it at all? That's madness. I vacuum out 2 13 gallon trash cans worth and drag it to the bathtub and dump it. Then I refil by pouring 4 half trash cans of conditioned water back into the tank. It's a pain but I'm certainly not going to put untreated tap in my tank. Nor am I going to make 9 trips with my 3 gallon bucket.

Madness you say?!?! Madness?? No.....

Just add the Prime to the tank then turn the valve and BAM!!! Re fill! 75 gallon tank... The best way to do it! And fast!!

Are you saying were wrong or are you just shocked?

Water changer! I bought the $37 one from walmart... It works perfectly!!!! I have sand substrate now, so when I refill my tank I basically lay it flat on the surface. Does not disturb the sand at all! Love it!!!!

I hook mine up to the faucet empty the tank then I add the conditioner, stress zyme and food for my live plants then fill with tap water.

I think you misread! All of us put conditioner in the tank THEN add the water. :)

Madness you say?!?! Madness?? No.....

Just add the Prime to the tank then turn the valve and BAM!!! Re fill! 75 gallon tank... The best way to do it! And fast!!

Are you saying were wrong or are you just shocked?

Maybe I'm unaware of what a water changer is. I put the measured amount of conditioner into a trash can and then fill it and let it sit for a few minutes before pouring it in. How can you put straight tap into your tank, even with the conditioner in it already, and not kill your bacteria? Or at least a good bit of bacteria.

edit
http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...172&lmdn=Product+Type&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

I see how this would make changing the water easier but I don't care much for the idea of putting tap water directly into the tank. Even if the conditioner is in the tank. Not to mention this thing costs like 60 bucks. Do a lot of people do this or is this a new invention?

As long as your filter is off etc then it's fine. The tap water mixes with the conditioner as you pour it in and then you turn on your filter after you're done. In any case, this way makes life a whole lot easier when it comes to water changes (especially with a large tank), and I've had no ill effects from this method.

As long as your filter is off etc then it's fine. The tap water mixes with the conditioner as you pour it in and then you turn on your filter after you're done. In any case, this way makes life a whole lot easier when it comes to water changes (especially with a large tank), and I've had no ill effects from this method.

I'm considering it but the reviews on this Aqueon are mixed. Many complain of the quality/price. I have to take their word for it since I have had an Aqueon stip light for just a couple days now and I've already had to take it apart and redo all the wiring connections because either the switch or ballast wasn't getting power. Any recommendations? I'm on ebay right now searching but it's lots of Aqueons. Also, my sink in my kitchen has the sprayer built into the faucet so that won't work. Will it hook to the bathroom faucet? It's a pretty standard faucet with threads and aerator.

I'm intrigued now because yesterday I changed like 50 gallons of water and I hate lifting 100lbs of water 5 feet up two to four times and holding it there for as long as it takes to pour it without ruining my sand and decorations.

Your BB isn't in the water, its not free floating. It's on the decor and your filter media. With everything off and the freshwater flowing into the tank and the conditioner added. The agitation of the new water entering the tank mixes the conditioner up. Then when filled you turn equipment back on.

Been doing this for years and years have many others. I say it's madness to use trash cans ;) I don't want trash cans all over my house not to mention dragging them around and emptying them.

We ll have out ways of doing things. It's really not a big deal.

Bottom line... Whatever works for ya works for ya!!

I'm considering it but the reviews on this Aqueon are mixed. Many complain of the quality/price. I have to take their word for it since I have had an Aqueon stip light for just a couple days now and I've already had to take it apart and redo all the wiring connections because either the switch or ballast wasn't getting power. Any recommendations? I'm on ebay right now searching but it's lots of Aqueons. Also, my sink in my kitchen has the sprayer built into the faucet so that won't work. Will it hook to the bathroom faucet? It's a pretty standard faucet with threads and aerator.

Mine fits the bathroom faucet no issues. The kitchen like yours has the problem because of the sprayer.

I change my 36 gallon and 10 gallon with 5 gallon buckets. I usually do like 3 water changes a week depending on water levels. Its not as easy as a water changer but I would rather save the money.

Thanks for all the input. I think imma have to go purchase a water changer!

Is there a certain size or brand I should get for a 29 gal?

Only thing I can find online is an Aqueon. About 38 for a 25 foot and 60 for a 50 foot. I'm on my way to Petsmart now to swap out a molly for a gourami and get some more hairgrass. I'll check em out and see how the quality is.

Back
Top Bottom