Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've come to the opinion that many folks on here do not know their [Moderator edit]from a hole in the ground! If you have an established tank, over 10 gallons, you do not need to change more than 10% a week of water, if that! (If you have a bowl that's a different story!) The saying that people are like[Moderator edit] and have an opinion, certainly fits. DO NOT OVERFEED YOUR FISH!
Bob in NY:p

Sorry, but I completely disagree. What about people who dose EI? A 50% water change is completely necessary. What about people with messy fish like Oscars and African Cichlids, those require alot more than 10%. While 10% may be plenty for some, I do 50% weekly in every tank I have, thats a 150g, and two 10g tanks. You really cant say that any tank over 10g only requires that. Only water tests will determine that. You're right about opinions, and I completely disagree with yours ;)

Sorry, but I completely disagree. What about people who dose EI? A 50% water change is completely necessary. What about people with messy fish like Oscars and African Cichlids, those require alot more than 10%. While 10% may be plenty for some, I do 50% weekly in every tank I have, thats a 150g, and two 10g tanks. You really cant say that any tank over 10g only requires that. Only water tests will determine that. You're right about opinions, and I completely disagree with yours ;)

+1000! There are many situations where it is necessary to change more than 10% weekly. The majority are not due to overfeeding. Your earlier assertion that large water changes are harmful or stressful to fish is also incorrect.

I guess you could be smarter than every public aquarium biologist and tropical fish breeder that I've ever met, I doubt it though. Maybe my own successes have all been flukes, but again I doubt it. I think what it comes down to is that you are right, aholes & opinions are very similar and I think that's been made apparent with your post. I honestly don't care what you do with your fish, but offering bad advice with absolutely no relavent data is irresponsible and damages the hobby. Please back up your claims in a responsible manner or keep them to yourself so that some poor guy doesn't see it and mistakenly believe it.

sorry, but i completely disagree. What about people who dose ei? A 50% water change is completely necessary. What about people with messy fish like oscars and african cichlids, those require alot more than 10%. While 10% may be plenty for some, i do 50% weekly in every tank i have, thats a 150g, and two 10g tanks. You really cant say that any tank over 10g only requires that. Only water tests will determine that. You're right about opinions, and i completely disagree with yours ;)

+1

+1000! There are many situations where it is necessary to change more than 10% weekly. The majority are not due to overfeeding. Your earlier assertion that large water changes are harmful or stressful to fish is also incorrect.

+1

i guess you could be smarter than every public aquarium biologist and tropical fish breeder that i've ever met, i doubt it though. Maybe my own successes have all been flukes, but again i doubt it. I think what it comes down to is that you are right, aholes & opinions are very similar and i think that's been made apparent with your post. I honestly don't care what you do with your fish, but offering bad advice with absolutely no relavent data is irresponsible and damages the hobby. Please back up your claims in a responsible manner or keep them to yourself so that some poor guy doesn't see it and mistakenly believe it.

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Right...I've kept fish for a decade and I surely haven't any clue as to how much water I need to change. Try keeping the water as clean as you see it in all those magazines with 2 koi and 7 goldfish in a 480gallon pond with only 48 gallon weekly changes. Don't make me laugh. (too late lol). I go through a weekly 250 gallons of water for my water changes on my tank and pond combined. And both are already heavily over filtered with my pond having a dedicated UV sterilizer/960gph canister.

On my aquarium I dose EI. I forgot to change the water for a week and I got 10ppm phosphates and 40ppm nitrates. Isn't that interesting.

I've come to the opinion that many folks on here do not know their [Moderator edit]from a hole in the ground! If you have an established tank, over 10 gallons, you do not need to change more than 10% a week of water, if that! (If you have a bowl that's a different story!) The saying that people are like[Moderator edit] and have an opinion, certainly fits. DO NOT OVERFEED YOUR FISH!
Bob in NY:p

Why feed the Internet troll with a educated response. There are people on every forum like this and I find it's best to ignore them so they just go away.

I've come to the opinion that many folks on here do not know their [Moderator edit]from a hole in the ground!

Then why are you here? The conversation about water changes which you took part in took place almost a month ago.

If you have an established tank, over 10 gallons, you do not need to change more than 10% a week of water, if that! (If you have a bowl that's a different story!)

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF ???? I want hard evidence that this is successful and that a tank is possibly kept like that.

The saying that people are like[Moderator edit] and have an opinion, certainly fits. Bob in NY:p

Obviously. You are a very good example of both the [moderator edit] and the opinion.

P.S. Rep to everyone who posted here. I have no problem with OP not doing water changes, whatever floats your boat. but there is no reason to get ignorant and call everyone stupid because you don't know how to take care of a tank.

how is me asking if the OP was trying to start an uproar unnecessary, yet you let the OP call everyone here an [moderator edit]?? show me the reasoning behind that please

no, neilanh edited my post and took out the only thing i actually said. i thought it was a pretty legit question, wondering if the OP was just trying to start an uproar, since his post seemed kind of ignorant and confrontational. but apparently my question was unnecessary while him calling us all [moderator edit] is fine. i was just curious why this was the case

I edited your post in an effort to not fuel the fire that's starting to occur in this thread.

There's nothing valuable being discussed here any longer, so I'm locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom