water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TASHANCRAIG

Aquarium Advice Regular
can anyone tell me if i should be pouring my freshwater for my water changes straight into my filter or into the tank my amonia levels jut arnt dropping although they r staying the same they dont seem to be getting any better they r currently 0.25 n not shifting i have stopped feeding as much and been doing 25% daily water changes for a week but no change

Dechlorinate and pour into the tank. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? That might be the problem. And try 50% water changes.

--Adeeb

yea tested the tap water on its own and also with the tetra tapsafe and both were clear of amonia we have done 2 50% over the last week and the rest being 25% just cant work out why it is not budging still no signs of nitrites

Don't pour it into the filter. The chlorine may kill off whatever bacteria your tank has developed before the dechlorinator has a chance to act. I add dechlorinator to the tank, then fill it back up with tap water.

Cycling can take several weeks, especially if you're cycling with fish. Get some filter media from an established tank and put it in your filter to speed up the cycling process.

That's exactly what you're looking for. One LFS by me sells "cultured" bioballs to seed your tank. Even a cup of sand or gravel from an established tank will give you a boost.

Back
Top Bottom