Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm slowly getting the jist of all this fish keeping lark! :)
I have the API master test kit, which I have been testing at least once a week, the last 2 tests I have done the results have been:

Amonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 - 10
PH: 8

My current resident list is:
4 Guppy's (1 male, 3 female, of which has just had babies)
6 Neon Tetra's
2 Dalmation Mollys
2 Clown Pleco's (newest additions)

My tank is the Fluval Roma 90 litre (20 gallon)

I'm quite happy with these numbers as they seem to indicate safe water conditions for the fish, my question now is if these numbers stay like this each week, how often should I do a water change, gravel clean, filter pad clean (cleaning the pads n the tank water) Another one is how often should the filter media be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Sam.
I've uploaded a picture of the tank just for interest :)

Attachments

• photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
samt1 said:
Hi guys, I'm slowly getting the jist of all this fish keeping lark! :)
I have the API master test kit, which I have been testing at least once a week, the last 2 tests I have done the results have been:

Amonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 - 10
PH: 8

My current resident list is:
4 Guppy's (1 male, 3 female, of which has just had babies)
6 Neon Tetra's
2 Dalmation Mollys
2 Clown Pleco's (newest additions)

My tank is the Fluval Roma 90 litre (20 gallon)

I'm quite happy with these numbers as they seem to indicate safe water conditions for the fish, my question now is if these numbers stay like this each week, how often should I do a water change, gravel clean, filter pad clean (cleaning the pads n the tank water) Another one is how often should the filter media be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Sam.
I've uploaded a picture of the tank just for interest :)

Im not very familiar with tropical fish so i can't say whether ur tank is overstocked or not. But if it isn't do one every week about 10-15% water changes with gravel cleaning. Ur general goal of pwc is to remove nitrate (presuming ur tank is cycled). I normally aim to keep my nitrate below 10ppm.

Clean ur filter media when u noticed ur water flow is starting to slow down. That's how I do it. Or if Im gettin unusual readings from my test kit ( e.g. High ammonia) and I can't lower it after a pwc. Then I'll check my filter for anything decomposing. Other than that there's normally no reason to worry about ur filter. U don't need to replace ur filter media unless it's falling apart unless it's carbon then u need to change it every 30 days. What kinda filter media do u have?

Im not very familiar with tropical fish so i can't say whether ur tank is overstocked or not. But if it isn't do one every week about 10-15% water changes with gravel cleaning. Ur general goal of pwc is to remove nitrate (presuming ur tank is cycled). I normally aim to keep my nitrate below 10ppm.

Clean ur filter media when u noticed ur water flow is starting to slow down. That's how I do it. Or if Im gettin unusual readings from my test kit ( e.g. High ammonia) and I can't lower it after a pwc. Then I'll check my filter for anything decomposing. Other than that there's normally no reason to worry about ur filter. U don't need to replace ur filter media unless it's falling apart unless it's carbon then u need to change it every 30 days. What kinda filter media do u have?

This is the description of the filter:

Fluval underwater filters with three stage filtration are ideal for use in fresh marine or reptile environments. Stage 1 foam removes large particles. Stage 2 polycarbon cartridge traps fine debris improves water clarity and removes impurities. Stage 3 BIOMAX provides optimal biological filtration efficiency.

Ah yes! Remove the carbon! Haha not many use them anymore. They are a waste of money and was of space! They also remove precious trace elements from ur water column. And replace that empty slot with any mech or biological filtration!

Back
Top Bottom