water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remy the cook

Aquarium Advice Activist
is there way to do water changes with out using the bucket method or a python?

You could plumb an outflow and a line in. You would need a pump on the out, but could do a wc with a flick of the switch or timer. You would still have to vac on occasion. You would have to use RO/DI or some way to declorinate.

RO/DI is reverse osmosis / Deionization. RO/DI isn't needed (and can actually be a detriment) for a FW tank. A method to age & aerate (if your water is treated with chlorine) or dechlorinate (if your water is treated with chloramine) would work for source water. You'd just need to get it there. In all honesty, a python will likely be your best bet for a 29G tank. Larger systems can get great results from an automatic changing system, but it would be overkill IMO on a smaller single tank.

Last time I tried a python it took 30 Min's to drain a 10 gallon bit it was also a 50 foot one :( and I don't like the idea of having to use 2x the amount of water I take out just to operate the suction

30 minutes for a ten seems awfully long.I use a cheap gravel vac and 40' of 1/2" rubber tube and my 55 takes about an hour to drain 75% of the way.

remy the cook said:
Last time I tried a python it took 30 Min's to drain a 10 gallon bit it was also a 50 foot one :( and I don't like the idea of having to use 2x the amount of water I take out just to operate the suction

The problem is probably the height of your sink which I have ran into after recently moving. If the point of exit on the water (a little lower then you faucet head) isn't low enough then there will be very little gravity to pull the water out. I just hook my python up for refills and use a second tube to siphon water right out my window and even start filling while siphoning during bigger cleanings.

Back
Top Bottom