Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have heard alot of different things about this. Can you do too much water changes? In my 36 gallon I usually do 15 gallons once or twice a week and in my 10 gallon I do around 50% once or twice a week. I have heard it might start another cycle. But I also have heard that the water doesn't hold a lot if any beneficial bacteria. I treat all water I put in with prime.

I think a lot of it is personal preference as well as filtration & stocking. In a well established, fully cycled tank a once a week ~50% water change with a vacuuming is sufficient. As long as you're treating the water its Prime & are not changing out your filter media, you shouldn't have a problem with mini cycles.

I have heard alot of different things about this. Can you do too much water changes? In my 36 gallon I usually do 15 gallons once or twice a week and in my 10 gallon I do around 50% once or twice a week. I have heard it might start another cycle. But I also have heard that the water doesn't hold a lot if any beneficial bacteria. I treat all water I put in with prime.

The cycle with water changes is a myth of the industry. As long as your fish are used to it you can do as many water changes as you want. But if water changing isn't really a normal practice your fish wont be used to it and will get stressed out by a sudden large water change. 50% is a good effective standard and won't stress out fish too much.

Once a tank is stable, established and cycled, I go by the 50 percent weekly rule. Sometimes, I do a mid-week "semi-change" in which I take out about half of what I take out during the weekly main change -- so, in my case, with a 60 gallon, I normally do 30 gallons during the weekly main change...and so during the mid-week change, I'll do 15 or so gallons (half of 30)...this is just to make sure the goldfish (messy) remain in really good quality water...

Back
Top Bottom