Water changes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all hope you can help how long will I need to leave my water to stand to get rid of the nasty stuff in it?

You don't have to leave water sit. Do your WC, fill you bucket with tap water and use a product like Prime to remove chlorine and such, then add to your tank.

You don't have to leave water sit. Do your WC, fill you bucket with tap water and use a product like Prime to remove chlorine and such, then add to your tank.

^ This. If reading that twice didn't help, try putting "prime" or "water change" in the search feature and you'll get lots of great info :) It's been a huge help for me and it will be your best friend when trying to find answers fast on here.

I let mine sit 24 even if it says instant. Mainly to make sure dechlorinator is diluted completely. It may " fish safe "but it's still a chemical.

If it makes a person feel better to let it sit that's fine but I've been using water after treating right away from the tap since the 70's and for the past years I've use a water changer, dose the tanks for their size with Prime, and fill with tap water from the changer hose. Been doing the ponds that way too since the early 90's. Those chemicals are make to work instantly and I've yet to lose a fish from it either.

Yah, I know some ppl add it right away, I have not heard of any repercussions from it i have just always done it that way. It takes a while to fill tub so it's also a convenience to knock that part out a day before going to cleaning so it won't take me that much time all at once.

This thread got me thinking... how does a person with... say, 100g aquarium change their water? do they really have 5 gallon buckets with treated water all over the place? :blink:

This thread got me thinking... how does a person with... say, 100g aquarium change their water? do they really have 5 gallon buckets with treated water all over the place? :blink:

No. Most people domt let the water sit unless its saltwater. Fw tanks are easy. Just take pwc water out add appropriate ammount of prime, and then add same temp water

You wouldn't use 5g buckets you would probably use rubbermaid bins or trashcans just like a SW tank ;)

No. Most people domt let the water sit unless its saltwater. Fw tanks are easy. Just take pwc water out add appropriate ammount of prime, and then add same temp water

yea but what i am saying is that even a 25% water change is 25 gallons... that's 6 5 gallon buckets (assuming that you don't fill to the brim). do they really put water in 6 buckets and treat the water then put it back in? could they instead put the extra prime in the tank and add the tap directly to the tank? I am clueless so just curious? :hide:

yea but what i am saying is that even a 25% water change is 25 gallons... that's 6 5 gallon buckets (assuming that you don't fill to the brim). do they really put water in 6 buckets and treat the water then put it back in? could they instead put the extra prime in the tank and add the tap directly to the tank? I am clueless so just curious? :hide:

Yea. Put the prime and add straight tap water

Yea. Put the prime and add straight tap water

Nothing wrong with this as said before. Again, I personally, prefer letting it sit( as I do SW to get it to correct temp and to make sure it's dilluted). I've never heard anything bad coming from adding it directly. It's a personal preference. Although it's alot easier than carrying multiple 5g buckets to your tank if you have the right equipment.

The reason I ask is that when I had my water tested the chlorine level was high, I live in a really poor water area. I use a product can't remember the name though to remove the chlorine and such. Was wondering if leaving to stand would help further.

I have a 220g tank and I do a weekly 50% WC using an Aqueon water changer. I don't use buckets at all on any of my tanks except the 2 6g nano's.

Back
Top Bottom