water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot depends on the tank size, bio-load/stocking, and amount of filtration. To keep my water pristine I change 50% of my water weekly in all my tanks, including my 220g.

it depends on your stocking and filtration, but 25-50% weekly. i do 50% weekly in all my freshwater tanks. clean water=healthy happy fish

I guess I have a lot to learn. I have been doing every 2 to 3 weeks. Should I ever take the fish out of the tank and clean the gravel amd decorations? I have a gravel vacuum amd that's what I use tp dp my water changes. I have a 10g tank with 9 fish.

Guys, it also depends on whether the tank is finished with the cycle right? You dont want to do drastic water changes when the tank is still cycling, once it ready then you adjust the water changes based on the bio load and other good things. I heard 1-2 a month of 20-30% each time is pretty standard for many of the smaller tanks like the 10g.

9 fish in a 10 gallon is overstocked. Don't take the fish out. But depending on the fish I'd rehome quite a few of them. You can clean with them in there.

Without knowing the kind of fish you can't say the tank is overstocked!

Actually smaller tanks build up toxins faster than larger tanks that have a larger volume of water so they need weekly WC's to keep water pristine. I have tanks in size from 6g to 220g and all receive weekly 50% WC's regardless.

I've got 4 glassfish 3 neon tetra 1green cory and a picasamis. Cycled tank for 2 weeks before adding fish. It has been stocked for 6 months

I've got 4 glassfish 3 neon tetra 1green cory and a picasamis. Cycled tank for 2 weeks before adding fish. It has been stocked for 6 months

What type of Pleco? Actually it doesn't really matter as all pleco species are too large with too high a bio-load for a 10g tank. It may be small now but will grow quite quickly and very large if it is a common pleco which is what most fish stores tend to sell.

Just so you have this info cory cats are very social fish and do best in larger shoals. You really don't have room for more but if and when you upgrade you need to get a few more. Same for upping your two schooling species to at least 6 fish in each group.

9 fish in a ten gallon is overstocked anyway you look at it TBH. Regardless of the fish. Unless we were counting small shrimp or snails.

Nine ember tetras would be absolutely fine in a 10g. Chilli rasboras are another example also.

9 fish in a ten gallon is overstocked anyway you look at it TBH. Regardless of the fish. Unless we were counting small shrimp or snails.

There are absolutely tons of fish both nano and small fish not considered nano that 10 or even more could fit in a 10g tank. You have to look at the fish adult size, the type of fish, their bio-load, your filtration, your WC's, the amount you feed, is the tank planted, and on it goes. Saying 9 fish in a 10 gallon is overstocked is too generalized a statement and inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom