Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TEXTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Am doing daily 25% WC to get 29G tank stabilized (can post water test data and setup details later). Tank IS populated with 17 Tetras and Platys. Quick question- am using API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme. Do I dose for entire tank volume or only the 25% water replacement?

If you are filling with buckets Treat the buckets with the amount needed for the buckets. If you are filling with a hose or python Treat for the whole tank.

If you are filling with buckets Treat the buckets with the amount needed for the buckets. If you are filling with a hose or python Treat for the whole tank.

Why would that make a difference? Whichever method is used, I would only be changing 25% of the tank volume. I'm just concerned about putting too much of either product into the tank.

If you use a bucket you only need to add enough to the bucket to treat that amount of water but if you want to just dump straight tap water into your tank you need to add enough product to treat the entire tank as the tap water is going to mix and disperse into the tank water which means all the water needs treating. I use an Aqueon WC'r and dose with Prime for the full amount of tank water and then turn on the hose and fill my tanks. You'll use less product treating each bucket.

Ok, that makes sense (sort of). I use an old-fashioned gravel vacuum (siphon) to remove the water. Then, since I'm only dealing with 7 gallons (25%), I replace the water ONE GALLON AT A TIME using a milk jug (it's just easier than trying to do it with a 5-gallon bucket). So, based on that, it sounds like I need to dose for just the 7 gallons. Next question, do I need to add the chemicals to the tank BEFORE adding the water?

If you just want to add water straight from the tap to the tank then yes, treat the tank first, then add your water back.

Thanks! Now, if I can just get things under control...

Back
Top Bottom