Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am due for another water change and this time instead of just having a couple fish, I have a shrimp and two mystery snails in the tank as well. I know to leave the fish in the tank to eliminate the stress of moving, but I clean with a small gravel cleaner and was wondering if I should take out the shrimp. I am scared of him getting sucked up through the siphon... What is the best way to go about water changes with a 1.5 inch ghost shrimp?

While it may sound a bit odd, I've used a small plastic cutting board that would fit front to back. Whether it's straight or on an angle. Separate the tank into sections (halfs, thirds, quarters) and worked it like that. It may not be the "perfect" size but it helps keep them further away while doing maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I rubber band a filter media bag around my siphon to prevent anything from getting sucked up.

Water Changes

I am due for another water change and this time instead of just having a couple fish, I have a shrimp and two mystery snails in the tank as well. I know to leave the fish in the tank to eliminate the stress of moving, but I clean with a small gravel cleaner and was wondering if I should take out the shrimp. I am scared of him getting sucked up through the siphon... What is the best way to go about water changes with a 1.5 inch ghost shrimp?

Hello mic...

You don't need to vacuum the bottom material at all. The organic material that falls to the bottom dissolves in the water and the waste is removed by just removing and replacing the water.

I took apart an old fish net and wrapped the netting around the end of the syphon and attached it with a rubber band. This way, the syphon only takes in the old water and none of the tank inhabitants.

B

Thank you guys, it helped a lot! I will try to wrap a filtration-material of some sort around the suction end of my gravel vac.

I use either vinyl window screening or an unused mesh shower scrubby thing cut up and rubber banded around the end of my siphon. Works great and I don't have to worry about sucking up shrimps or babies.

Back
Top Bottom