Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK.....the tank is here (70gallon) and I just received packages from Big Al's and DrsFosterSmith containing my Filter (XP3), heater (in-line 300w), plants, test kit, and such. I'm still waiting on the stand I ordered from Dayton Aquarium Stands (check them out - good deals on Oak stands!)

I've also been reading alot and researching all about setting this up and then the maintenance. I'd like to reach out to you as to how you perform your water changes. I know that water changes are critical in ensuring a successful tank.
I will be performing weekly changes and purchased a Python to make things a bit easier. What I'm not sure of is how do you actually do a change. I've read on some sites where tap water is used....just get the temperature close to your tank, put in some de-chlor and pour it in! Other sites suggest having a container (such as a large garbage can, or another tank) to age the water. They also indicate that having a heater and aeration is needed.
Yikes, the thought of having to have another set-up of some sort for water changes is something that I didn't think/plan for (70 gallon tank with probably a 25% change each week=20-25 gallons!). Is the latter really needed?
What do you do?

I use my python and fill the tank directly.I add the dechlor at the beginning and get the temp close to the same. Been doing it like that for 5+ years and never had any problems.

The aging serves two purposes. The first is to get rid of chlorine. The other is to let the water reach its normal conditions. There is sometimes a big swing in ph in the 24 hours after it comes out of the tap. This is a bigger problem when you do bigger water changes. Fill a glass, let it sit for a day, then compare to fresh out of the tap. If no big difference, add it directly. As far as the temp, a 300w inline heater should take care of that, if you can route the new water through that first. I've thought about puchasing a python but I usually find babies when I gravel vac. Also, you can often rig up a python-like sytem for less with a water bed filler/drainer and some hose (if you can figure out how to attatch them). Also be sure that if you use a garden hose that it is culinary quality.

Holding tanks are great, but how often do you have an area close enough to the aquarium to put one? If you do have an area to put a holding tank, go for it. You will love having water aerated, dechlorinated, and heated to tank temp. Buy a water pump, heater, airstone and air pump, and hose and you are in business.

Most aquariums will not be situated within reach of a holding tank, but will be within reach of a python. I now have a tropical tank served by a holding tank, you can check out my system at: http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0015.htm
and I have a goldfish tank that I am going to service with a python. So....

when you add dechlorinator to a tank that you are filling with a python, do you add enough dechlorinator to treat the water change amount, or to treat the whole tank volume?

Back
Top Bottom