water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absoulutely neccessary and useful. There is dissolved matter like nitrate and many many other "chemicals" in the water, that are normal in low concentrations. Since they are dissolved the filter can't really take them out, and in higher levels they are harmful to fish etc.

Therefore you need to make waterchanges, since you're having a lot more fishes and resulting trash in the tank than it would occur in nature in a comparably small area :wink: .

Water changes are necessary to remove Nitrates that build up from your biological cycle. In nature water is naturally absorbed and "changed"... but in our little habitats we have to do that for them by removing water and replacing it.
The nitrogen cycle Ammonia-nitrite-nitrate.. then the nitrates keep climbing. Since you have plants they will use some but not all.
I change at least 50% when i do water changes, but it depends on how often you do it. If you do it weekly.. maybe only 20-30 percent, monthly i would do much more. I do mine weekly to biweekly.

It is especially important to do pwc's while cycling with fish. Like rich said doing everyday would be best. Easiest method for water changes is a python water change system. No need for buckets then.

Zagz said:
Easiest method for water changes is a python water change system. No need for buckets then.

I bought one as well, and I am loving it. When I was getting ready to buy the tank, one of the things that made me hesitate was visions of my childhood when my dad would fill all these 5 gallon buckets for his water changes. I was not looking forward to that!

I'm all for the elbow grease method. Gravel vacuum. Bucket. One gallon containers filled with aged water. But I also don't have a tank over twenty gallons right now, either...

Put yer back into it, lads! :D Back in my day, we didn't have any o' those fancy Python dealies! We carried our buckets uphill both ways, in th' snow, and had to suck out the chloramines with a drinkin' straw! And we were grateful!

I love pythons cause they make it easier to do larger water changes more often with little effort. And I believe you can never do too many water changes.

Put yer back into it, lads! Back in my day, we didn't have any o' those fancy Python dealies! We carried our buckets uphill both ways, in th' snow, and had to suck out the chloramines with a drinkin' straw! And we were grateful!

Thanks Gryff I needed cheering up! :jump:

Back
Top Bottom