Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i really like the python system. should get it. so when do you put the stress coat and dechlorinator in, after the water is added in or before or during. Is the water temp the same as the tank water.

I can't hook up a Python to my sinks. I was told most fixtures have caps on the threads if I don't see the threads. How hard should it be to take off the caps? I really don't want to use the old bucket method if I don't have to on my new tank.

I use my old trusty stock pot, back and forth, bathtub to tank. I definately need to get one of them there Pythons. I've read they are the only way to go, esp. if oyu have a big tank!!!! ;)

Yes, the python is the only way to go. I can't imagine doing it the bucket way. Not with three tanks anyway!

I just try and match the temp of the water as closely as possible from the tap when I'm putting it back into the tank. Doesn't have to match exactly, but you don't want it way colder or way hotter of course. The heaters do a good job of getting everything back on an even keel pretty quickly. I tend to go a tad cooler than warmer than the tank water when adding, but not much below the temp. There are different schools of thought as to when to add dechlor, but I've always added it after the tank is full again and it's always been fine. You won't need stress coat and a declorinator....stress coat is a dechlorinator (among other things).

Lots of fish websites carry them, and they would be worth the investment at twice the price! I can't believe there are still folks out there that don't have them. :S If it will not hook to your sink or hose, take it down to your local hardware store and get an adapter (something I had to do).

I used to do the 1-gallon pitcher back and forth to the bathtub, which evolved to a siphon with buckets... I would not still have tanks today if I didn't have a python. Back in the day I dreaded water change day. That was like 10 years ago!

In fact I just updated mine to a packaged deal (used to have a gravel vacuum and home depot tubing on with a python adapter at the sink): http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3910&N=2004+113164

I use an inline heater which adjusts the water temp so fast, I don't worry about temp, and I typically don't use any kind of dechlor. That's with a 50% PWC every saturday.

fvalbr2l said:
are you guys treating and heating the water before putting back in tank.
I use my bathtub to fill the pot up (over and over) and I try to get it pretty much the same as the tank which stays right at 79 d. I have a well, so I haven't had to treat for chl. etc.

I've got a 10g tank and I purchased a python. It really is worth it if you can afford to drop the money on it. It saves so much time and a ton of headaches.

I add dechlor while I'm doing the fill, I figure that way that it will get mixed around well and do its job. I don't think it really matters when you do it though. Like David said, I try to match the temperature as best I can before switching it to "fill mode". I don't use a thermometer, so I'm not very accurate with it.

@theotheragentm
99.9% of sinks will work with a python. The tip of the facet will almost always unscrew (if it isn't one of those new age fancy pants sinks). Just get an old t-shirt/rag or something to keep you from scratching up your fixture, put it around the tip of the sink, grab ahold with a pair of pliers, and turn it to the left (righty tighty lefty loosey). They usually come off pretty easily.

MOST sinks will work with the Python. You just have to buy a different attachment piece if the ones they give you don't fit. The attachment pieces are cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. If you don't have any threads, you have to unscrew the screen or cap. This is where the plyers come in. :)

I couldn't live without our Python. Between all our tanks we change about 130 to 150 gal of water per week. And with the 150 we would have to carry 75 gal of water down the steps, through the ally and into my office. Not happenin. I just add Prime while refilling. No need for any other chemicals like Stress Coat.

Back
Top Bottom