Water changes, aged water, KH/GH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crickit99

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did some searches, but I would like some input from you guys.

I have always used water straight from the tap for my water changes, the smaller tanks get the bucket system since the Python is too much. (I add dechlorinators though!)

OK, so here are my thoughts....I have an extra powerhead. So if I use a tube w/ the powerhead attached, I can use that to fill my tanks, correct?

What do you all to hold the water while it's aging? And where do you keep the container?

Our local water is supposedly some of the best in the country, drinking-wise. And I have mentioned before, it is VERY soft w/ a pH of 7.2 (even a day later).
I would like to up the GH and KH of my water, as both are basically 0....I'm thinking the aged water system gives me a chance to treat that water, prior to adding it to the tanks....good idea? (After I get my tank's raised as well, that way they would match.)

Thanks!
Christina

Hi Christina :D , You really don't have to go through all of that. Raise the KH of your tank by placing a handful of cc in the filter. This will buffer your water and you won't need to worry about pH swings.

Won't that effect the pH though? I don't want my pH to change at all.

I also want to make sure I'm maintaining levels in my tank, so I'd rather have more control so I don't change levels in the tank, in case something goes wrong.

The only way to control the pH is in your tank. You must get the KH there stable or what you do with water changes won't make any difference. :wink: By putting some crushed coral in your filter, you'll get the KH up between 4 and 5. Only then will the pH be stable in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom